cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

Each year we adjust the monthly subscription prices our customers pay for Virgin Media broadband, TV and home phone, so we can continue to invest in our network and services.

What this means for you

We know that price changes are never welcome, but like many other businesses we’re seeing increased costs while investing to keep up with growing demand.

We adjust our prices based on the UK government’s Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation. RPI measures the rate of inflation by assessing the average change from one year to the next in the prices of a representative sample of goods and services purchased by typical UK households.

FAQs

What’s the Retail Price Index (RPI)?

The Retail Price Index (RPI), published monthly by the UK government’s Office for National Statistics measures the rate of inflation by assessing the average change from one year to the next in the prices of a representative sample of goods and services purchased by typical households in the UK.

Our annual price adjustment uses the January RPI rate announced by the Office for National Statistics in February each year, plus an additional 3.9% which is applied at the same time. If the RPI rate is 0% or negative, we’ll only apply the 3.9%.

Why are you increasing prices?

We always balance our prices with the need to invest in our network, so we can provide all our customers with the best products and services. Like many businesses, we’re experiencing rising costs, which is why we review our prices each year. At the same time, we’re seeing growing demand for data, so we need to invest in our networks to keep up with customer demand.

When will my bill be affected?

You’ll see changes on your bill from your April billing period onwards. If you have recently joined or recontracted and we have informed that you that your annual price rise will take effect from April 2025, you will not receive a price rise in April 2024.

For more information please visit Annual Price Change | Virgin Media

31 Comments
shaun2612
Tuning in

I had agreed a deal with virgin a while ago, and was assured there would be no change to my package price until the end of my contract term. I have this in writing. An agent spoke to my wife, and offered an upgrade for a great price. The wife accepted. She swears she was told the price would remain the same price until contract expires. I'm now looking at an 8% increase. 15 years with virgin, and they do this. Disgusted. 

geriann
Superfast

my monthly amount is going up by 8.8%!

mjcole74
Joining in

My contract went up from £67 pm to £174 pm why was this so much... I managed to get it to £87 but I'm fuming 😤 Imagine what these crooks are doing to the elderly and vulnerable people 

Rudders60
On our wavelength

I swapped my my Virgin Media 200Mbs £180 a month package for a Three 5G Hub £20 a month package and now get 756Mbs. I've splashed out on ITVX Premium @£5.99 a month and along with Freeview, BBC iPlayer and UK TV Play have a better choice of programs than I did before. I can record programs using a USB drive plugged into our Smart TV's but don't bother as everything I watch is streamed.
Be brave, and you will realise that Virgin Media is yesterdays solution to your entertainment needs.

keenrw
Superfast

Explain to me please Virgin why do business owners get to have no increases yet your loyal home user customers have to pay an increase? This is highly unfair and it's all about profits , keeping the Rich business owners happy while squeezing your normal home users dry... how many companies have recorded huge profits since rising prices… Goes to show the price rises were not really needed, and it was just for extra money.... you are losing a lot of customers over this and rightfully so, how about a better strategy of lowering prices to beat Sky etc, that way you will attract customers from other companies .... more customers = more money... everyone's happy, at the moment your customers are appalled at how you treat them and this latest idea of no price rises for business is a kick in the teeth for all your loyal customers.

jamesf55
On our wavelength

I changed my package in February and got an email confirming my new costs would go from £123 to approx £138 as of April and would stay at that till payment number 19 then it would rise to approx £151.

Today I got an email telling me my May payment would be £156. What is going on? Surely the annual rise wouldn't take it up another £16 a month. That is an increase since February of £35

I tried contacting via Whatsapp, Got multiple choice questions, asked to input number relevant to what I want to talk about, was 6 (billing) and got another multiple choice asking what the refund problem was that I was having? Had to delete that chat and tried on the App chat and had a similar problem. I asked about billing and got a reply asking why I wanted to cancel my account.

I could phone but my hearing isn't great and there is no email that I know of.

Virgin website is a disgrace, its as if they don't want you to contact them. In the meantime I still don't know why my bill has risen so much.

Rudders60
On our wavelength

Once you've served your time I highly recommend you reassess what you need and I think you'll find it's just Broadband and not from Virgin Media. The TV package has been replaced with Broadband streaming and FreeView TV and who uses a landline in this day and age?. My bill with was also heading towards £160 and I now pay £21.58 with Three and that is with the £1.58 price increase.

TF1909
Dialled in

I think once any company from Virgin / Sky etc increase their prices to customers mid contract - the customers should be entitled to take out a new 18 month subscription at the new price - ie those who have signed up for cheaper deals should then be entitled to take out a new contract - as really the provider is changing the contract at that time! 

clareb38
Joining in

Can anyone assist with the price increase I can’t afford to proceed with the costs 

I need to reduce my package 

michelle_owen65
Joining in

I am in shock that my virgin bill is going up by £120 @ year. How do you justify that kind of rise? If only my wages went up that much..!!!   I will not be renewing at the end of my contract 

MarkVM777
Tuning in

Any increases to give VM customers the best service possible should be paid from the profit VM makes, before any profit goes to investors.