cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pop-ups - Mozilla Firefox McAfee - "virus alert!" etc -Are these MALWARE?

Joyce-Margaret
Joining in

Good morning.

For several weeks I have had nasty looking virus alerts on my pc purporting to be from Firefox. I am worried that they are malware, so I have not clicked on "close" or "dismiss" in case they are a link. I can ignore these messages, but I dare not log into my online banking.  Are they genuine?  How can I remove them?  (I am quite elderly).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

The more unexpected the message, the more care we should take.

Malwarebytes has for many years been my goto tool for this type of issue.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

In the same situation I download the free version and perform a scan of my PC or Laptop,
this often roots out nuisance software restoring confidence in the computer.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Client62
Legend

The more unexpected the message, the more care we should take.

Malwarebytes has for many years been my goto tool for this type of issue.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

In the same situation I download the free version and perform a scan of my PC or Laptop,
this often roots out nuisance software restoring confidence in the computer.

Hi Client62,

I'm sorry for not seeing your response earlier - I thought I'd requested email response. Not being tech savvy and being very cautious, I "googled" malwarebytes, and it all looks too scarily technical for me. I'll sit on it for a while.

My sincere thanks for your help,

Buffer6
Legend

This is Malware, I got that last week when signing into online shopping, my way out was to resize the screen and use task manager to close the browser. I had forgotten to enable my Hosts file so that's how it got in, from a stored cookie. One way to avoid this nuisance is to set browsers to clear all cookies when closing, it means logging into sites every time, but it's better than this malware messing you about.  Malwarebytes is handy to have installed as it refuses to go into dodgy sites, although sometimes it gets switched off, so a Hosts file is a must to have enabled as well. Some freeware has this ability to call in these malware messages as well, to try to get you to buy Antivirus software, I use Malwarebytes and Windows defender plus a MVPS Hosts file which I update from time to time that seems to work, although I have to stop the Hosts file sometimes when searching as it blocks too many sites, so long as I remember to enable it again after I complete the searches, all works OK

PS refuse online pop up surveys as this third party software can put unwanted stuff on your PC.

Mbytes history.png

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Buffer6 wrote:

This is Malware, I got that last week when signing into online shopping, my way out was to resize the screen and use task manager to close the browser. I had forgotten to enable my Hosts file so that's how it got in, from a stored cookie. One way to avoid this nuisance is to set browsers to clear all cookies when closing, it means logging into sites every time, but it's better than this malware messing you about. 

A word of caution here if using VM's TVGo via a web browser

We no longer have a Windows 10 app, but Windows 10 devices can use the website, and install the web app that is offered when visiting the website. To use Virgin TV Go in a browser please ensure you’ve got cookies enabled in your browser, that virginmedia.com is listed as a trusted site, your browser is set to allow protected content, and you allow pop ups from the Virgin TV Go website.

Note: If you register a computer using a browser, you’ll need to use the same browser with Virgin TV Go. Using a different browser, clearing cookies or using incognito mode will be seen as a different device.

Info from https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/how-to-use-virgin-tv-go-app 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali