cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forwarded blueyonder messages stay in gmail account after leaving Virgin Media?

Nicky24
Tuning in

I opened a gmail account some years ago and set up forwarding for emails to my blueyonder address.  So, now I have quite a few emails which were sent to the blueyonder address but forwarded to gmail that I have saved in folders and tagged with my blueyonder address.   Does anyone know, if I my Virgin Media account is closed, will those emails still stay in gmail?

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’m certain the messages will stay in GMail if they were forwarded from the VM mail system. There is no direct connection between GMail and VM so they will not be ‘pointers’ the actual data will have been sent. You should be able to confirm the my opening one of the messages and looking at the low level email data, as I don’t use GMail I cannot tell you the commands to use. In any case you should not keep any important messages in any email system, you should always assume that they could be lost sometime. You should keep a copy of the important messages on you local machine and also in cloud storage. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for your reply, Tudor.  I didn't know you could download emails to be honest.  I take your point though and I'll start by decluttering the emails I should probably not keep.  

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I run all Apple systems and it’s very easy to get mail messages into a PDF format and save them. If you have an iPhone or iPad you already have an Apple email address. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

When forwarding you should have opted to keep the emails in Gmail's inbox, that way there's no problem.If you don't have the emails then get them transferred from Blueyonder.

But I'd have done it the other way, i.e. using Gmail as my main account and forwarding whatever few Blueyonder emails received to Gmail.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

OK.  I use android but I'll look into it.  But still, should probably let go of many emails!

Hello Roger, I didn't phrase it very well but gmail is my main account.  It's so long since I used it, I don't even know how to log into my Virgin inbox.  I'm pretty sure I set up the forwarding from the gmail account, like you suggested. So you're saying that, in that case, they will stay in gmail?

IanMSpencer
On our wavelength

A forwarded email is a new email not a "pointer" to the BY email. You should be fine.