Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
Pipa

connection Failed with Error 651

Hi, i have a new computer with Win7, my old speedtouch modem doesnt work with Win7, so i bought a new Wireless router/modem,  only problem is when i use the setup wizard from the Cd that came with the router i get "no internet connection detected contact your ISP"...

when i try set a connection manually from control panel i get " connection Failed with Error 651"...

any ideas on howto fix this as it's beocming extremely frustrating

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
Sarah_D

Re: connection Failed with Error 651

Hi Pipa,

The error 651 is relating to the Speedtouch modem, and it might be down to settings inside your internet options that is causing the error message to open.

To check this, if you go to start -> control panel -> if you click on View network status and tasks highlighted in red.

control panel 1.JPG 

It will then take you to the following window (shown below) and then if you then select Internet Options, highlighted in red to the bottom left hand side of the window. 

control panel 2.JPG

Another window will open up (shown below) if you can select the connections tab and double check that 'Never dial a connection' is selected.

internet options 1.JPG 

If you can reply with what router you are currently using and whether you have entered your credials into the router, that will be brilliant.

Regards. 

Sarah Davies
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Pipa

it's a brand new computer  it hasn't had any other modem or router installed on it so it cant be my speedtouch causing any problems, speedtouch modem i was using is on my old computer (which i am currently using right now to try and find a solution for my new one as i cant connect to the internet on it )

my new computer, is using windows7, it hasnt had any other modem installed on it, i tried installing my new  router/modem on it, which is a cisco Linksys, i followed the instructions on the CD to install,  it goes through all its checks fine no problem until it comes to "verifying modem router settings - no internet connection detected"   all the  lights are solid green on the router (Power,Ethernet 1,Wireless,DSL) the internet light is off

i tried setting up a connection manually from control panel and when it tries to set up the modem i get "failed to connect error 651"

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Pipa

cisco Linksys wireless n home ADSL2 modem Router

model WAG120n

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
Sarah_D

Hi Pipa,

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me if you have logged into your Linksys router and entered in your broadband credtials?

If you have not, then that will be the reason why the router has no internet connection at present, and I will send you a PM with your creditals.

Regards.

Sarah Davies

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Pipa

Hi Sarah, i have no idea what that is so i can safely say i have not done it lol

if you could tell me how i do that aswell that would be great, worth a try :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
MadWelshBiker

hi pippa, according to google, error 651 is only when you have a ppoe connection, as your router connects to the internet and your pc then shares the connection to the internet through the router. The connection between the pc and the router should be automatic, remove any broadband connections set up on your pc, and goto the router configuration page by opening internet explorer(or any other web browser) and typing 192.168.1.1 into the address bar (where you would normally enter http://google.co.uk) this should bring up the router setup page or setup wizard where you can enter your broadband login details. call technical support if you still get stuck

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Pipa

thanks, :smileyhappy: just tried that, my broadband details were already entered in there, (i can only assume they got entered during the setup wizard installation that comes with the router).. but i re-entered them just incase, still get the same thing "no internet connection detected"

:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
Mathew_W

Hello,

Please can you send me your account number, address name and phone number. This will allow me to run some tests on your connection.

Are you cabled or wireless?

Kind Regards,

Mathew_W

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Sololobo

Hi Pipa,

You shouldn't need to install any software for your router.

Connect your router to your computer with an ethernet cable, input your account details into the router configuration pages and away you go.

Settings for an ADSL connection through a telephone line. 

Open a web browser and log onto your router.

Find Internet Wan > Connection Type.

Set the Router to use PPPoA, type in your User Name and Password in the spaces provided. If you do not have a Service Name or do not know it, leave the Service Name field blank. After you have typed in your information, click "Apply Changes". After you apply the changes, the Internet Status indicator will read "Connected" if your Router is set up properly.

WAN > Connection Type   PPPoA

User Name  > firstname.name@adsl.virgin.net (or virgin.com or whatever)

Password > *******

Retype Password > *******

VPI/VCI  >   0 /  38

Encapsulation > VC MUX

MTU  > Leave as Default

Find Internet Wan > DNS.

Select Automatic from ISP

(Virginmedia DNS servers are Primary: 194.168.4.100 Secondary: 194.168.8.100)

Find Lan Setup > Lan Settings

Ensure DHCP Server is set to On

If the details entered are correct the router will show connected and the internet lamp will turn green.

It's best to do the configuration on a wired connection.

Remember to change the router password from the default and to enable encryption.

--------------------
ADSL Service - What's that? And stop swearing!
I used to answer questions, but now I question instead. Guess why.
Kudos: Users giveth and VM taketh away.
Please use plain text.