cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

more than 50 channels showing W02 code-no joy from the usual fixes...

Batman89
Joining in

Hi folks...maybe somebody in here can assist- for a few weeks now we've been getting a W02 code for over 50 channels that we normally have access to. Kept getting "there's a fault in your area" via service check, with the usual date/time for a fix that just kept changing day after day after day. Eventually got an option to book a tech visit which we did. Came and fitted a new V6 box and left without bothering to check the faulty channels..and they are still faulty. Over a week more of "fault in your area" service messages(no email updates either despite requesting them) until today...fixed but still got same problem. A lot of the missing/faulty channels are the +1 of any available, ITV,Film4,Discovery for example, but also lots of stand alones like Legend,DMAX and ID. Anyone got any suggestions other than turn it off and on again(tried all that,cables out and all),or the missing channel search via the remote? Appreciate any advice before resorting to trying to fit a call to VM around work...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Batman89, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

We're sorry to hear the estimated fix time has passed. Checking things this end, it looks as though the fault in ongoing. 

The fault is an SNR outage - SNR (signal to noise ratio). This is just a technical term for interference of the signal caused by noise which ingresses on to our network. 

It's a difficult problem to locate and diagnose. This is because noise can ingress anywhere on our network. As a general rule it's normally caused by customer equipment e.g. loose connections or 3rd party equipment attached to our network. However it can also be attributable to local architecture, e.g street cabinets, cabling or at the origin of the signal which we call the Headend (servers/routing system). The only way to establish where the noise is originating is for the Network Techs to run a series of trace routes. Once found then the cause dictates he amount of work required and the time frame for resolution. 

It can affect different services and connections differently too but whilst the fault is ongoing, it may cause disruption. 

The latest update on the fault shows a new estimate fix time of 29th September at 10am and the reference is: F010965137. 

We'll be able to look further at things for you then. Apologies once again for the issues you've been having. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

W02 is a loss of signal error. Did you not check before the last tech left, that the fault was resolved?

The suggestion would be to report your fault again - and make sure the tech doesn't leave without you checking service is restored. You're paying for a fault-free service, after all.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

We know what the code is-says on screen and on the code checker on the website. And when the tech guy says "all done,good as new"after half an hour of installing new box..you'd assume he'd already check his work given he knew the fault, so no,wasn't until he was driving away that we took time to flick down the channels.

Am hoping for a possible fix without having to lose another day of annual leave waiting for someone to come out.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Batman89,

Thanks for posting your query and welcome to the community!

I'd like to extend our apologies for any problems faced with your service currently.

Just from checking our system I can see that you are currently affected by an area fault.

As it stands the estimated fix time for this is the 25th September at 11:15.

Many apologies for the inconvenience caused for this as our team will be working to resolve the matter.

Regards,

Kain

hi Kain

apreciate the response but is this the same area fault thats been showing up for the at least the last 5 weeks? and would it only affect my house as i've got neighbours without the issue?

hi again...11.15 has been and gone...and still got the same issue. The help pages/fixes on the website just keep sending me round in circles with the same things over and over again. just checked staus and it said initially theres no issues. now it's telling me theres an intermittent fault and it needs yet another 24 hrs to diagnose...and if it persists to drop back on to the page and "let us know". but....there's no way letting you know without calling. frustrated is a term i'd quite happily apply now, frustrated at the lack of online assistance from VM in a world where being online is advertised as a massive sales pitch!

Hi Batman89, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

We're sorry to hear the estimated fix time has passed. Checking things this end, it looks as though the fault in ongoing. 

The fault is an SNR outage - SNR (signal to noise ratio). This is just a technical term for interference of the signal caused by noise which ingresses on to our network. 

It's a difficult problem to locate and diagnose. This is because noise can ingress anywhere on our network. As a general rule it's normally caused by customer equipment e.g. loose connections or 3rd party equipment attached to our network. However it can also be attributable to local architecture, e.g street cabinets, cabling or at the origin of the signal which we call the Headend (servers/routing system). The only way to establish where the noise is originating is for the Network Techs to run a series of trace routes. Once found then the cause dictates he amount of work required and the time frame for resolution. 

It can affect different services and connections differently too but whilst the fault is ongoing, it may cause disruption. 

The latest update on the fault shows a new estimate fix time of 29th September at 10am and the reference is: F010965137. 

We'll be able to look further at things for you then. Apologies once again for the issues you've been having. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath

Will my billing be altered accordingly due to the loss of service?

update- got a text message earlier(28th) informing me the fault had been fixed and to perform a shut down/restart on our equipment. Have just performed said restart and result-all missing channels have been restored! So after dozens of resets,  the mixed messages from the service staus checks and,a now seemingly needless change of hardware, the fault was eventually found somewhere that wasn't our house or loose cables-really do think VM need to address their fault reporting methods though-there are countless threads on here where customers are hitting frustrating walls and dead ends with no apparent help forthcoming...I've dropped lucky by the looks of things.

Hi @Batman89 

Great to hear all sorted 🙂

Please do pop back to the community if you ever need further assistance.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill