cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 TV box / Samsung TV picture problems

Gaz6477
Joining in
  • I had my old TIVO box replaced 2 weeks ago and the new V6 tv box has been working intermittently ever since. Sometimes when I switch the TV on, there is no picture, and the sound is intermittent. Other times the box works fine. This happens every day and is random but mainly happens after I have left the box switched off over-night and can take hours before it will work again. Sometimes unplugging the cables and plugging them back in again resolves the issue but I have to do this every day which is not convenient! 

I have changed the picture settings on the virgin box from 4k to 1080p but still the problem persists. I've contacted Virgin and they have sent an engineer who told me they always have problems with Samsung TVs - he went through the Samsung setup menu and got the picture back, but the very next day same issue again.

Never had any problems with the TIVO box which had been connected to 2 different Samsung TV's in the past. Personally I think it could be newer software on these TV boxes that might not be compatible with my TV. The TV is a Samsung 4k 59 inch and is about 4 years old. The TV firmware is up-to date. If this cannot be resolved I will have to cancel.

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does "no picture" include V6 menu system & EPG - can you view this?

When you say about turning the box off overnight, do you mean mains power (bad idea) or just standby? If the latter, what are your power-saving settings?

I do suspect an HDMI handshaking issue here - have you eliminated the lead & TV port by trying alternates?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi

I get the EPG menu - etc on start up - the picture is in the preview box but as soon as you select a channel - audio only.

I do switch off mains at plug  for tv and box overnight night - cables been changed - Virgin engineer fitted new highspeed hdmi. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM's TV boxes are designed to be left on 24/7 and updates are often pushed out overnight. Having to download those each time you power on will very likely cause some issues sooner or later - try using the power-saving options and see if that makes any difference. At the very least, it'll be something eliminated.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey @Gaz6477,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear you have been having this issue, has the information provided @japitts proved helpful to your issue? What they have stated is likely to help and would be the first checks we would ask you to run.

Thanks. Joe

Hi  Yes - I leave the box on standby - works ok now - doesn't like being shutdown completely 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Gaz6477,

Thanks for coming back to us and keeping the thread updated on this issue! 

Glad to hear that the TV box is working for you now. If you come across any other issues, please come back to us so we can help further.

Thanks! 😊 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs