cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Box stuck in start-up loop

Ant2
Tuning in

Assistance, please.  At some point this morning an attempted system update seems to have triggered an issue with my V6 box.  The following screens are in turn displayed for several minutes each: "Welcome" - "Starting up" - down-pointing arrow symbol - "The DVR has detected a serious problem and is attempting to fix it.  The process may take about three hours..." - "Welcome" - "Starting up" etc etc. 

Should I just continue waiting, and hope for the best?  Something similar occurrred about 2 months ago, but on that occasion the "serious problem" message stayed on screen for several hours after which the service did finally resume.

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The green "DVR has detected an error" means your V6's hard drive has failed. On the very rare occasion it recovers, another failure will only be a matter of time, thus your symptoms are no surprise.

The permanent fix is for your V6 to be replaced, you should contact TV faults to report the failure who should arrange a tech visit for the box-swap.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks. Tried that first. Unfortunately these days they just text you a website link which leads ultimately to "We're having some issues on our end. Allow us 30 minutes to get our diagnostic tools up and running again". Been the same all day. I think my best hope is that a staffer picks up my earlier post and arranges a tech visit and replacement box installation as you suggest. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Calling back immediately after being cutoff cutoff should bypass the insistence on resolving everything via a text message, and allow you to queue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks again. An uphill struggle to persuade them that a tech visit was needed but I do now have one arranged for next Wednesday. 

Hey @Ant2 Thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the V6 box being stuck in a loop.
But I am pleased to hear that a technician has been booked to get this resolved.

Let us know how it goes with the appointment on Wednesday and we can go on from there.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Just an update to say that a very friendly tech guy came and replaced the failed V6 box for us on Wednesday so, apart from the loss of several hours' worth of unwatched recordings, we're all good now.  He described a new product that VM may be offering in the future - a tv streaming device that has the capacity to make and save recordings to the cloud, so that later retrieval of the recordings would not be dependant on the continued operation of the original hardware.  Sounds very interesting...