cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TiVo Box Not Working Since Electrical Storm

flipflop104
On our wavelength

Hello

We had an electrical storm on Monday evening which took out all the TV and Broadband in the area for almost 24 hours.

Yesterday evening the Broadband came back on along with the TiVo box that we have in the living room, but the one in the bedroom has not come back on.

It is recording things again as I can see those by connecting to it from the TiVo in the living room but it won't transmit anything to the TV it is connected to (I have rebooted loads and have checked all the cables and the TV works and is on the proper "source").

Not sure if this is the issue but when the electrical storm was going on that caused the outage in the first place, I was watching the TiVo in the bedroom (the one that is now not working) and there was a flash of light from the corner of the bedroom (where the cable comes into the bedroom through the wall from the outside, not from the TiVo box itself).

Has anyone got any ideas as to why it might not be transmitting a signal to the working TV yet is still recording?  it's very infuriating that I can't watch TV upstairs currently.

Thanks in advance.

Phill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Swap the TV cable from the TV to the TiVo just in case the cable is faulty.  Is there another TV input?  The existing one could have been fried.  Just because the TV is recording does not rule out the TV output being faulty.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Swap the TV cable from the TV to the TiVo just in case the cable is faulty.  Is there another TV input?  The existing one could have been fried.  Just because the TV is recording does not rule out the TV output being faulty.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is a known fact (from previous posts on this forum) that lightning storms can fry the HDMI output circuits in TiVO boxes.  This will have been a surge through your mains supply trying to exit through the cable onto VMs system. The isolator in the wall box may also be compromised. 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to be clear, is it a TiVo or a V6 you have? You've posted in the V6 section of the board, but all references are to TiVo - both run the same software but are different hardware.

https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box 

Thanks for all your replies - very helpful.

Sorry, it's a V6 running on TiVo software 

Hi there @flipflop104 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry to hear that you have faced this issue with your TV and a big thank you to our community team for their advise. 

I can see you have marked Adduxi's post as an accepted resolution, has changing the cable resolved this for you?

Yes, an engineer attended on Friday - the box was fried so he had to swap it out for us.  Thanks