cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV channels pixelated

Samantha78
Tuning in

For the past few weeks I've noticed pixellation on certain TV channels (BBC 1, ITV channels, Really and others) which range from slight distortion to major pixellation with a pink or green screen. Most of the other channels are fine but when I switch between a pixelated one and a normal picture I get severe ghosting on the screen. All cables are properly connected and there are no issues with the TV itself. Recordings from these channels are unwatchable due to the pixelated images but I can watch catch up with no problems. 

I have checked the service status numerous times and it says no problems but when I checked yesterday it said there was an intermittent signal in my area. I checked this morning and it said the same but with no estimated fix time. 

Could you please let me know when this issue will be resolved as i am unable to watch the channels and my recordings due to the picture quality. I had a similar issue to this last October which turned out to be an area issue that took over a month to resolve. 

27 REPLIES 27

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. OnDemand & streaming use the internet and would be affected differently by any issues. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Samantha78 

Welcome back to the community forums

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your TV service. I have checked the systems at my side and I can see that your routers power levels are quite high out of specification that would cause issue on your Ondemand services. 

It'll be worth getting this investigated further by an engineer that'll be able to check this against your pixelation issues too. 

Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon or if you're using a smaller device, you can see your private messages by clicking on the Virgin Media logo at the top right and select 'Messages' from the drop down. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks so much for joining me on private message @Samantha78 
I have now booked you a visit for your TV and power level issue – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Samantha78
Tuning in

About a month ago I posted on here that I had a problem with severe pixelation on my TV channels. Tests were done and detected that I had a problem with the signal. An engineer was booked and he fixed the issue for me.

Yesterday, the same problem began again and now my TV package is unwatchable again. I've used the service status which states there is an intermittent fault but does not give a fix date. Could you please check this for me and see if I need another engineer visit.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Samantha78,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Many apologies for the pixelation issues you're facing, just to clarify is the intermittent fault regarding the TV service as well?

Let us know,

Kain

When I test the TV equipment on the service status it just comes up as "intermittent signal" with no further details or estimated fix time.

TV is totally unwatchable but internet and landline are fine.

The channels are all unwatchable. They are either completely pixelated or are blank and have a box that says W02 error.

All internal connections are secure so I think it is the same problem as before which was in the green box. Could you please test my equipment to see if this is the case.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks again for the response there,

Sincere apologies for this as from checking the account it does appear that there still is an area fault raised for this matter.

The estimated fix time for this however is 3rd July at 9AM.

Whilst this will not be the best news to hear, our team will be working to get this matter resolved as soon as they can.

Can I ask when you had a prior appointment, what work was completed by the team?

Regards,

Kain

The engineer checked the v6 box in my property and said it was working perfectly. He checked the outside connection inside the green box and did something there, he then checked the brown box, noticed the connection was slightly corroded and cropped the wires, put something on the end of them and reconnected them. 

If I am going to be without a watchable TV service until 3rd July will I have money deducted from my next bill? Obviously I can not watch or record anything that I am paying for so will I be compensated?