cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Remote control for visually impaired

annn
Tuning in

Hi Dave, thanks for replying. His doesn’t have voice control so it must be the V6 box. The problem is the buttons are small and so close together so he is having difficulty in locations the correct button to use.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Ann,

I've moved your thread to the V6 forum so staff can pick this up in a day or two and hopefully help.

I'm not sure if these are still available, but in the past there was an Accessibility Remote for the V6

If they are still available then it's white with black buttons and is designed with partially sighted customers in mind. The buttons are different shapes to differentiate them and have a raised button on the number 5 to best locate the number buttons. 

I'll flag this post for you and a member of the Forum Team should be able to pick this up for you and if they are still available order an Accessibility Remote

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

annn
Tuning in

Hi, 

Is there a virgin remote control for the aged/visually impaired?
My Father is 97 and is visually impaired and is having issues with the small buttons on the standard remote

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @annn 

Forum Staff don't generally look in the chatter forums.  So I can move your post to the correct forum which TV set top box does your father have?  You can check on << this page >>  The V6 and 360 look similair, however the 360 has a voice control button on the remote. 

Staff may be able  to help with obtaining a special remote for the V6 box, however I'm not sure how suitable it will be. Unfortunately there isn't anything similar for the 360 box.

Some 3rd party remotes can work with the VM set top boxes. We can offer more suggestions when we determine which box your father has.

There is a section on Sight Loss on the  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/accessibility page which has a couple of videos and some help on making the most of using existing remotes and actual features available on the different boxes

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Ann,

I've moved your thread to the V6 forum so staff can pick this up in a day or two and hopefully help.

I'm not sure if these are still available, but in the past there was an Accessibility Remote for the V6

If they are still available then it's white with black buttons and is designed with partially sighted customers in mind. The buttons are different shapes to differentiate them and have a raised button on the number 5 to best locate the number buttons. 

I'll flag this post for you and a member of the Forum Team should be able to pick this up for you and if they are still available order an Accessibility Remote

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @annn thanks for posting and welcome to our community.  Also, thanks to the ever amazing @newapollo for the support given and bringing this thread to our urgent attention.  I am sorry to hear of any difficulties your father is having using his remote control. I would like to take a look on yours and your father's behalf.  I am going to send you a private message. Please keep an eye on your inbox in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If he migrates to the 360 it comes with a remote that has voice control, so he can do things like say "101" for BBC One HD channel, "Pause", "Resume", "Recordings" and more.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi @annn thanks for getting back to me privately.  
This is just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Please bear in mind, you can manage your account from here. Your online account, will give you access to your bills, show your package details, diagnose any possible faults and monitor any orders and appointments you may have. 
Regards
Lee_R

annn
Tuning in

Fantastic service from Lee R, forum team. My self and my elderly Dad really appreciate all the help we have been given.

Thanks @annn do please keep us updated with how things go.

Regards

Lee

annn
Tuning in

Thanks Lee, will do