cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playback sometimes jumps forward several minutes

mpatric
On our wavelength

We've had this issue with our V6 box for a long time. When playing back a recording it will sometimes jump forward several minutes (sometimes as much as 15 or 20 minutes). When it jumps, it's instant, there is no pixelation or anything, it's just suddenly jumped forward. When this happens it's possible to rewind back and continue watching. This is ok I guess if you realise it has happened, but not when watching sport!! Seeing the score suddenly change in a football game without having seen any goals is frustrating.

I *think* this only happens when I have been using the fast-forward function. Like when fast-forwarding through stoppages or half-time when watching football. Anyone else having this issue or is there something wrong with my V6 box?

13 REPLIES 13

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If this only happens when you're fast forwarding, are you inadvertently using the index points? They're the little white vertical lines at intervals dictated by the length of the programme.

The lower-two FF buttons on the V6 remote trigger these.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi mpatric,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with your Tv service. 

I have taken a look on our side and I am unable to see what could be causing this. 

Can you please confirm if you are still having the issue?

^Martin

mpatric
On our wavelength

I didn't explain very well. It doesn't happen *while* I'm fast forwarding, it sometimes happens at some random time *after* I've been fast forwarding, often many minutes afterwards. Generally the remote control is on the table when it happens so there's no chance I've inadvertently pushed a button. It doesn't always happen when I've been fast forwarding, but seems doing a lot of fast forwarding seems to increase he chances of it happening.

Thanks for coming back to us and offering further information @mpatric.

Can you please confirm how much space is currently free to accommodate recordings on the set top box?

Do you clear the recently deleted folder on the V6 box? 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

mpatric
On our wavelength

@David_Bn the box is never near capacity, it's currently 25% full

I don't ever clear the recently deleted folder, is it a good idea to do that?

Thanks 🙂

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mpatric wrote:

I don't ever clear the recently deleted folder, is it a good idea to do that?

I'm going to interject and suggest it's also not necessary.

Programmes in the deleted folder are already flagged as "space available" for re-use, but you have the option to recover individual recordings if necessary. I'm not even sure you can delete the whole folder in one go.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Has the advice from japitts helped with this?

^Martin

mpatric
On our wavelength

@Martin_N wrote:

Has the advice from japitts helped with this?

No, it wasn't really advice about the issue I'm experiencing.

I've lived with this issue for years and learnt to deal with it. I just wanted to find out if anyone else has experienced it.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

With the clarified explanation, I suspect your V6 has a hard drive problem. The standard test of that is to pause live TV and watch slightly delayed, to see if that is also problematic.