cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Channels.

regentroad5
Up to speed

I've received an email from Virgin telling me that they're giving me 11 extra channels.

They also tell me these channels cannot recorded, rewound, or paused.

Can I ask why not?

The format of the new channels are going to be of little use to me I'm afraid.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In simple terms, DVB-C refers to the tech that is used to carry linear broadcast channels. DOCSIS refers to the tech used to carry broadband services, so any TV services that are internet-fed. OnDemand & streaming being the examples here.

Internet versus linear is a whole other argument.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The eleven new channels are the latest additions to VM's FAST channel porfolio which began in August 2023.

Below is an extract from the original <VM press release> 

"The new channels combine traditional TV viewing with streaming, with pre-programmed ad breaks in between set schedules so customers always know what to expect when they tune in. Viewers can enjoy shows they know and love within the format of streamed programming that many have become accustomed to, with no subscription to any of the channels required"   .

The following page may also be helpful in explaining FAST channels

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/virgin-media-adds-11-free-tv-channels/

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

These "channels" blur the line between linear broadcast TV & online-only streaming options.

VM had to get particular consent from Ofcom for there to be an EPG holding slot for these services, and the slot just acts as a holding pen for the red-button shortcut - in the same way as the Netflix "channel" or the Prime "channel".

I should imagine these are quite low usage "channels" in the overall scheme of things.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@regentroad5 wrote:

I've received an email from Virgin telling me that they're giving me 11 extra channels.

They also tell me these channels cannot recorded, rewound, or paused.

Can I ask why not?

The format of the new channels are going to be of little use to me I'm afraid.

Streamed channels are cheaper to operate for the broadcaster, & the OFCOM licencing rules are also different. VMs boxes contain digital cable tuners for recording broadcast channels directly from the cable. The new channels are FAST channels that are streamed via your Broadband router from the internet. They therefore bypass the tuner circuitry & cannot be recorded. There is also the question of what the broadcaster has licenced as to what VM can do with the channels. It also stops you skipping the ads.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

regentroad5
Up to speed

"Streamed channels are cheaper to operate for the broadcaster".

What about the customer?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@regentroad5 wrote:

"Streamed channels are cheaper to operate for the broadcaster".

What about the customer?

The broadcaster is the channels owner or operator, it's not VM. They don't own any. Some channels get a cut of VMs revenue for being on the platform. You are also paying for the VM infrastructure that distributes the TV. Your rental also covers you for free replacement of your equipment if it fails. Most of the "free" channels like these FAST channels don't see any of VMs money at all.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

VM isn't going to waste precious DVB-C spectrum on low-viewing channels, so far better to stream them on the DOCSIS spectrum. And I'm rather expecting some existing "long tail" channels to be moved to the DOCSIS spectrum (and if someone knows of any cases do let us know).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

regentroad5
Up to speed

When I first became a Virgin customer many moons ago, I don't remember stuff like "DVB-C spectrum" or the "  DOCSIS spectrum" being terms I had to be aware of.  

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm a bit thick. Or just old.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In simple terms, DVB-C refers to the tech that is used to carry linear broadcast channels. DOCSIS refers to the tech used to carry broadband services, so any TV services that are internet-fed. OnDemand & streaming being the examples here.

Internet versus linear is a whole other argument.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Briefly, VM has a certain amount of spectrum (not sure of how much but it's over 750MHz), being the range of frequencies within the radio frequency (RF) range allocated to it by OFCOM and previous telecommunications regulators for transmitting signals over its cable network. It's segmented into DVB-C (used for carrying live TV) and DOCSIS (used for carrying broadband, VoD and voice). It's a finite resource*, so VM must manage it carefully. VM's migrating to IP, and thus must use an increasing amount of the DOCSIS spectrum, but still needs to allocate enough DVB-C spectrum for TV even though there are UHD channels now.

* In theory VM could apply for extra spectrum, but OFCOM has several competing alternatives for spectrum.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection