cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to often reboot V6 to use catch up

esoRDL
Tuning in

Often we cannot access catch-up or apps (iPlayer, Amazon Prime etc) as the link is greyed out and on occasions when watching programs it will buffer.  Error codes C237, C217 and V210 come up but following the guidance never rectifies the problem.  The only way to solve the issue is to turn off the V6 box and reboot and this always results in restoring access.  This is not an issue every time, but is more often than not.

We have a Virgin cable direct to the box and a separate cable to our router so it is not a wifi issue.  Also we have no issue with accessing normal tv through the V6.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The "Virgin cable" you mention will be the co-ax which only carries live TV signals to your V6. The V6's internet connection is separate, and will either be ethernet cable or wireless to your router.

Your previous posts suggested this was Ethernet, but the network connections screen will show a wireless signal strength otherwise.

VM staff should pick-up this forum post in a few days if all else fails.

It's that internet connection which allows OnDemand, streaming and updates to work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When you next have this problem, follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and check for an IP address in the top-right.

Then try "connect to VM services now" at the bottom of the screen, wait for success then retry using VoD.

When you say "watching programmes it will buffer", do you mean viewing an OD programme or streaming app? It's all pointing at an internet connectivity issue if so, and the next piece to eliminate will be the Ethernet cable & router port.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you for your suggestion.  However, whilst connecting the message came up (Failed whilst negotiating) and following the link the error code is C217.  I went through the procedure again later and and this time it went through the full resetting procedure.  However, I do not have confidence that this will be a permanent fix. I have been able to get over the problem by switching the box off then on before, but it has only been a short term fix.

The buffering happens when viewing on demand e.g. iPlayer and Amazon Prime Video.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Failed while negotiating" suggests a fault for sure, it shouldn't say that - much less reboot when trying. I suspect your V6 is faulty.

I'd be minded to try a different Ethernet cable and also an alternate port in your router, to eliminate that.

Thank you.  I also think the V6 box is faulty, but it is not easy to speak to someone at Virgin to arrange an engineer visit.  The Virgin cable goes straight to the V6 box and does not use an ethernet cable or link to the router.  I have a separate Virgin cable going to the router to provide wifi and home telephone.  The Virgin cable is split in a box outside my house.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The "Virgin cable" you mention will be the co-ax which only carries live TV signals to your V6. The V6's internet connection is separate, and will either be ethernet cable or wireless to your router.

Your previous posts suggested this was Ethernet, but the network connections screen will show a wireless signal strength otherwise.

VM staff should pick-up this forum post in a few days if all else fails.

It's that internet connection which allows OnDemand, streaming and updates to work.

Thank you for explaining the OD connection.  The only wires to my V6 box are the power, co-axial cable and hdmi to my tv.  I suppose that means the OD is received by wifi.  The router is only some 12 ft away so the signal should be strong.  Anyway the connection has failed again this evening and hopefully someone from VM will be contacting me over the next few days, if not I will telephone 150.  Thank you again.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You say the wireless signal "should be strong". Check that it is - Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and look in the top-right.

If it's practical to use an ethernet cable, it's always preferable and strongly recommended. It may yet solve your problem if the issue is WiFi related.

Hey esoRDL, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear about this.

Can I just check if any of the advice above has helped you out?

I have also taken a look at the account and everything is looking great. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?