cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of full screen ads

kenrichman
Joining in

When I switch on my set top box (V6) I am presented with a full screen ad for something Virgin wants to promote at me. Some programme it thinks I want to watch or some channel. Basically this is rude and annoying. I can’t seem to find a way to prevent it. Is there a way to do so?

7 REPLIES 7

kevin1988
Dialled in

I don't think you can get rid of it If I'm honest. It is annoying I don't even use my Virgin TV as it was just the basic package that came with the broadband deal I got but have tried it in the past and the advert is excessive.   Also if I recall it was adverting some show on Sky Comedy... I don't even get that with package I'm on so pointless.  

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Assuming you're leaving your V6 in standby and just awakening it, the box should be tuned to the last channel you were viewing. Even if the V6 restarts overnight, this should still be the case.

The only time when your V6 should tune to the Showcase loop (Ch998) is when it boots up from cold. The V6 is designed to be powered-up 24/7/365 with power-saving options - powering it down overnight will cause problems sooner or later with missed or incomplete updates.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I’m not powering it down overnight, nor tuning to 998. It’s just a full screen static ad that stays until I press a button.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you post a photo? With the "info" banner being shown, ideally.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I get that when I take my 360 box out of standby in the mornings, but pressing any button gets rid of it.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

I get that when I take my 360 box out of standby in the mornings, but pressing any button gets rid of it.

I was thinking along the same lines, possibly a 360 or Stream box.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

This is the screen I get on taking my 360 out of standby in the mornings.

20240504_085514_20.jpg

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection