cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using F-type coupler to connect between existing cable & new TV and broadband splitter

spatel67
Joining in

Hi, I am a new customer and recently received my self installation kit for my VM broadband & TV. The house i moved into already had a VM connection setup with a custom long cable that connects to the main VM wall output. This is a f type cable with both ends same, i.e with the copper wire centre.  

Now the new kit i received had one cable that splits to form one for broadband and TV each. This isnt long enough for where I have my TV placed. If i buy a f-type f to f coupler to connect the custom cable to the new supplied one, will that work?? Want to know if that will affect signal loss or not?

This technology is new to me as i was used to Sky before and need some guidance on this cable tech. 

Thanks in advance!

spatel67_0-1709130216381.jpeg

spatel67_2-1709130317208.jpeg

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM's cabling is part of their network, well-intentioned DIY jobs are not a good idea.

If you don't have co-ax connection points where you need them, it's best to request a manned installation.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If it's a coupler like this one, then that's fine.  You can check the power levels when you are up and running. Note the Quickstart kit cable is a push fit onto the end of the coupler, they don't do screw on ones anymore.

https://www.diy.com/departments/slx-f-type-satellite-cable-coupler/5028422001905_BQ.prd

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Adduxi- Yes, exactly the one I am referring to. Thanks for the reply!!

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Why buy anything when a mandatory manned installation is free.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

roy247
Community elder

Just to add to Rodger_Gooner's answer, in the picture that white coax cable looks thin (could just be a bit of an optical illusion but might not have the correct screening), and if you ask for a manned installation the signal levels will get checked properly.

Also the less connection/ joints you have the better for reliability and I was also told on one training course that every connection you have causes a 10 db drop in signal, don't know how true that is and how noticeable it would be on 1 or 2 connections.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

A straight connection between two cables shouldn't lose more than 1dB at these frequencies.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

roy247
Community elder

If I remember right the instructor was ex RAF and couldn't be wrong in his opinion.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Well I'm not going to post my LinkedIn profile here but I can assure you that either your memory or his instruction was wrong. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

roy247
Community elder

I did say it was his opinion that he was always correct, not mine.