cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating V6 to 360

sbarts
Tuning in

Hi

How do i go about apply to update my V6 box to 360 firmware? I see instructions on how to do it but i need to obtain the new remote first and can't find anywhere how I can request to be sent that. Also the option to update my box isn't shown in any of the menus as it's described in the instructions.

Thanks

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Tivo box would need to be swapped out for a 360 mini box which doesn't have a hard drive, you would therefore lose the additional recording facilities.  Also you can't transfer recordings from either your V6 or tivo to the 360 system and  you would need to set up all of your series links again.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly, the change from V6 (TiVO) to V360 (Horizon) is migration to a completely different TV firmware platform. It is NOT AN UPGRADE. Make sure you really want to jump ship, as there is no way of reversing the change. Have a read of the threads here & find out what facilities you are losing by moving, as these are not publicised by VM.

If you do decide to change, you need to ring customer services, who will send out the Horizon voice remote. When this arrives you will then find an app on your V6 box to start the firmware migration.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @sbarts,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

As @nodrogd has mentioned, this would change the firmware and once changed it cannot be reversed. Have you already discussed this with the team? If so, what have they advised? Have you decided to go ahead with the change?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi. Thanks for replying. I did contract the support team but they said their system wouldn’t let them flag my v6 box for an update although I’m not sure why. The only question I had about having the new firmware is would it impact my TiVo 500 box? If not it’s something I’d like to do if possible

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Tivo box would need to be swapped out for a 360 mini box which doesn't have a hard drive, you would therefore lose the additional recording facilities.  Also you can't transfer recordings from either your V6 or tivo to the 360 system and  you would need to set up all of your series links again.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks that’s really helpful. We don’t really use the TiVo box for recording so that’s fine and our series links could do we a good clean up so that’s fine too. Just need virgin to confirm they and apply the firmware to my box and pay for a new remote and mini box I guess

As mentioned, you really should be sure you're aware of the differences between the two systems, the 360 is missing a lot of nice features compared to the V6 and doesn't add much in return. Many of these features are patented by TiVo so are unlikely to be added in the future.

Some of the missing features are as follows; Wishlists (where you can set the box to record programs on certain subjects or featuring certain people), undelete, series link+, series link manager, suggestions, setting of series links for programs not in the current TV guide, ethernet control, keyboard support via USB, switching between tuners with constant buffering, skip-back on fast-forward, quickplay, default recording options, cancelling individual recordings from a series link, multi-channel series links, radio channels allowing recording of radio, separation of recordings between boxes, watching recordings when internet is not available and probably a few others I've forgotten.

Thanks. Most of these features i didn’t know existed so don’t use but thanks for the letting me know

sbarts
Tuning in

Is anyone able to help why apparently my v6 box can’t have the 360 firmware? That’s what I was told when I tried to request the change. Thanks

Hi @sbarts,

When did you speak with the team?

I can't see anything on our system to suggest this was advised?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs