cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TNT ultimate dark picture

Boingboing1958
Tuning in

Got arsenal forest on and ultimate picture is so dark. TNT hd is fine. Anybody know what this should be or is it just a temporary fault with the channel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

IoanaNeacsu
Up to speed

It’s not any fault, they just broadcast as HDR HLG now as the Sky Sports UHD channels. Play with your tv settings, there are some topics here about to settings if you have an older tv. On the new ones the image as it should be. What I’ve noticed though it’s that the image jumps having the Standard mode on. I put it on Game Optimizer and see if it does the same. TruMotion settings didn’t help. All these on an LG 60UQ81006LB

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

IoanaNeacsu
Up to speed

It’s not any fault, they just broadcast as HDR HLG now as the Sky Sports UHD channels. Play with your tv settings, there are some topics here about to settings if you have an older tv. On the new ones the image as it should be. What I’ve noticed though it’s that the image jumps having the Standard mode on. I put it on Game Optimizer and see if it does the same. TruMotion settings didn’t help. All these on an LG 60UQ81006LB

rufusoculus
On our wavelength

Try adjusting your gamma levels on your tv's settings.

IoanaNeacsu
Up to speed

Coming back to my issue with the image and sound which jumps, after a quick check on X (Twitter) it’s a general issue happening everywhere, Sky, Virgin. So, it’s the channel’s fault, nothing to do with my tv settings.

cje85
Trouble shooter

HDR/HLG needs a TV that can get very bright to work properly. Many budget and mid-range TVs are unable to reach the level of brightness required, and this will make the picture will look dark (even if normal programmes look fine).

It's explained well here: https://www.wired.com/story/hdr-too-dark-how-to-fix-it/

@IoanaNeacsu wrote: All these on an LG 60UQ81006LB

According to rtings.com this TV isn't very good for HDR, the peak brightness is very low and this will make HLG look dark. TheUQ80 and UQ81 are the same TV, just with different stands.

The LG UQ80 has poor HDR peak brightness. It doesn't get bright enough to deliver an impactful HDR experience, and without a local dimming feature, small highlights don't pop against the rest of the screen.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uq8000

The BT Ultimate picture was excellent last season on my V6 box. Was that not in HDR?

I don’t have an issue with my image being dark. Please read again what I wrote. I didn’t say I have a dark image. My issue was with the sound and video jumping and that was because of TNT. The issue with the dark image was of the person who started the topic. What they say there about my tv brightness it’s not true, my HDR image is very good.

Hi IoanaNeacsu

My post was in response to cje85 and the thread title TNT Ultimate dark picture. Glad your HDR image is very good. Mine was last season but the change to HDR HLG has left the picture on my Sony TV too dark. Cheers 

On your Virgin Box go to settings, go to audio/video, change the resolution to something below 1080p, then press restore original resolution. This will force SDR and bring the same colour as the HD channels.