cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programme delays not picked up by scheduled recordings.

Jerry007
On our wavelength

When i schedule a programme to be recorded, i start it one minute early and end it five minutes after supposed times. But if a programme is running say ten minutes late, why doesn't by box automatically adjust the times to capture the programme. Thirty years ago i had a video recorder that you typed in the number of the programme and it automatically recorded when the programme started.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your post has been moved to the TV360 section.

My fellow VIP @nodrogd may be able to expand on the network architecture background, but in short the broadcasters have more of a direct access to the Freeview EPG in order to make updates for late-running "on the fly".

VM have a closed network where this isn't possible, and updates are also provided via a third party who add some of the enhancements that V6 & TV360 series links rely on.

I use a V6 so can't comment on the TV360 software specifically, but I know TiVo-software also mitigates by prompting for extra padding on any programme flagged as "live". I understand TV360 offers similar.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What TV equipment are you setting this recording on? You've not said. Is this a Virgin TV box, or something else?

And if it's a VM TV box, which one? https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Jerry007
On our wavelength

Virgin 360

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your post has been moved to the TV360 section.

My fellow VIP @nodrogd may be able to expand on the network architecture background, but in short the broadcasters have more of a direct access to the Freeview EPG in order to make updates for late-running "on the fly".

VM have a closed network where this isn't possible, and updates are also provided via a third party who add some of the enhancements that V6 & TV360 series links rely on.

I use a V6 so can't comment on the TV360 software specifically, but I know TiVo-software also mitigates by prompting for extra padding on any programme flagged as "live". I understand TV360 offers similar.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jerry007 wrote:

When i schedule a programme to be recorded, i start it one minute early and end it five minutes after supposed times. But if a programme is running say ten minutes late, why doesn't by box automatically adjust the times to capture the programme. Thirty years ago i had a video recorder that you typed in the number of the programme and it automatically recorded when the programme started.

You are talking about a facility that was directly operated by the broadcaster. The BBC, ITV etc all ran their own transmission networks. By the way, it wasn’t foolproof. If the operator in the output suite forgot to press the right button when the programme started, your Video would not get the matching code to start recording & you lost the entire programme.

All the EPGs on the different platforms are now operated by third parties. Only the public service channels on Freeview are able to update in real time, as they still have direct control.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993