cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a Tv 360 remote and accessibilty for visually impaired / blind

Sunnyboy1
On our wavelength

Recently set up 360 box. The remote is terrible for visually impaired people. The overall remote surface is flat with very little distinction in touch. Buttons are close together & in the same configuration so feeling your way around is so hard without trying to look at the small buttons & symbols. The introduction of the microphone is great but it's right next to the record button, which you have to be able to look at and see before pressing the wrong button. And it seems the only way of getting out of situations you didn't want is to press the return button, also hard to find.

With the microphone facility you can't browse things - you have to know what you want to ask for it.

The enlarged facility on the guide goes from all channels with tiny text to large text but only showing what's on that one channel so it takes forever to browse a range of channels.

The voice over takes too long to describe to you what the programme is about, and is awful sounding sped up.

There doesn't seem to be a facility to play things in slow motion like the tivo box, again something used a lot by visually impaired.

YouTube & itv x require logging on to devices to access - impossible for someone sight impaired if they don't use smart devices

Audio description has to be manually selected & turned on for each programme, why cant it just stay on with the option to turn it off if not required?

Please help & offer suggestions/ genuine inormed help for sight impaired. This all feels like it's put together by people who imagine what sight loss is like but not informed by people living or trying to live with this disability.

This message is typed on behalf of my partner who is registered blind....and I'm trying to help him but getting frustrated and upset by how marginalised this 360 experience is making us feel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Sunnyboy1 

Go to Settings > Accessibility > Audio Description and turn it On.  This enables the audio description to be turned on automatically when it's available, instead of having to perform it manually for each program. 

audio description.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Sunnyboy1 

Go to Settings > Accessibility > Audio Description and turn it On.  This enables the audio description to be turned on automatically when it's available, instead of having to perform it manually for each program. 

audio description.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Sunnyboy1
On our wavelength

Thanks that's really helpful