cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a TV360 Box Need Coaxial

123chunk
Joining in

I got Virgin TV in November 2021. I believe I have a TV 360 box. It doesn't work if I unplug the coaxial cable. I understood the coaxial connection to the Virgin socket in the wall was mandatory for TV to work.

I've spotted this: https://www.cable.co.uk/providers/virgin-media/installation/#:~:text=Virgin%20TV%20360%20box&text=Un....

"Unlike previous set-top boxes from Virgin, the TV 360 only needs a Virgin Media broadband connection either wired or over wifi. Previous boxes relied on the same coaxial cable that delivers your broadband being routed to wherever you have your TV, which could cause some installation headaches. The fact you now only need wifi makes installation of the TV 360 much, much easier."

What's the truth? Thanks for any help.

3 REPLIES 3

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The truth is that that article is wrong.

All recording boxes from Virgin Media require a co-ax connection for live TV. After all, they sell cable TV.

There is a Virgin TV box, Virgin Stream, that works via broadband only but it doesn’t have any recording capability.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@123chunk wrote:

I got Virgin TV in November 2021. I believe I have a TV 360 box. It doesn't work if I unplug the coaxial cable. I understood the coaxial connection to the Virgin socket in the wall was mandatory for TV to work.

I've spotted this: https://www.cable.co.uk/providers/virgin-media/installation/#:~:text=Virgin%20TV%20360%20box&text=Un....

"Unlike previous set-top boxes from Virgin, the TV 360 only needs a Virgin Media broadband connection either wired or over wifi. Previous boxes relied on the same coaxial cable that delivers your broadband being routed to wherever you have your TV, which could cause some installation headaches. The fact you now only need wifi makes installation of the TV 360 much, much easier."

What's the truth? Thanks for any help.

This is a third party thinking V360 & Virgin Stream are the same product. They are not. While they use the same Horizon firmware, V360 is a broadcast receiver, so coax is still mandatory. Stream is an IPTV  product so does not require it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @123chunk 

Thank you for getting in touch with our forums for your query. Was the great advice given by @Ernie_C and @nodrogd useful? Do you need any further help? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs