cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need TV License when I get my TV Box installed but have no TV yet.

Southw0od_5678
Joining in

Hi, I have recently purchased a property. However, I am not moving in for a few months due to contractual work occurring. I am getting the 360 Box and Wi-Fi installed next week, ready for when I move into the property. I am just wondering even if my 360 Box is being installed and not used with no actual TV in the property, do I still need a TV License? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Southw0od_5678 

Good luck with the home move when it occurs.

It's good that you are getting your installation prior to moving in, in case there are any delays/problems. Have you thought about getting it all up and working and then cancelling it in the 14 days cooling off period?  You can then reorder again closer to your actual moving in date.  

Do you have a TV licence at your current property?  If so my interpretation is that you won't need a licence until you actually move in and connect the equipment to the mains supply.

The info below is from https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/second-home 

Second home TV Licence

In some cases your main home’s TV Licence may cover your second home.

However, you can’t move your licence to cover your second home while you’re there and then move it back again.

Houses, flats, bungalows or cottages

You will need a separate TV Licence to watch TV channels on any TV service, live TV on streaming services, and BBC iPlayer* in your second home. On any device.

The exception is if you only ever use devices powered solely by their own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains) – in which case your main home’s TV Licence will cover you.

Can I use my TV Licence at another address?

Yes, your licence will cover you at another address if you are using a device powered solely by its own battery and is not plugged into the mains. If you’re moving address permanently, you will need to change your TV Licence address.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My understanding of the TV licencing laws are that one is needed to watch TV "as it is being broadcast" (without digging through all the T&Cs to check) - at a basic level, I don't see how a licence can be required if you're not watching broadcast channels.

VM's T&C's also cover the scenario - section D11 covers provision of TV services if VM become aware you don't have a licence.

Be aware that if you don't have a TV installed, you may struggle to prove the TV360 is working. Part of the install & setup process involves at least using one as a monitor for the box's video output. Are you having a manned installation or using the self-service QuickStart route?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you, I will bear this in mind. 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The licence is for any programme you watch or record as it’s being shown live on any TV service or streaming service. If you have a working box it's hard to claim that you're not using it to watch BBC iPlayer stream on a mobile device or to record a live programme.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Southw0od_5678 

Good luck with the home move when it occurs.

It's good that you are getting your installation prior to moving in, in case there are any delays/problems. Have you thought about getting it all up and working and then cancelling it in the 14 days cooling off period?  You can then reorder again closer to your actual moving in date.  

Do you have a TV licence at your current property?  If so my interpretation is that you won't need a licence until you actually move in and connect the equipment to the mains supply.

The info below is from https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/second-home 

Second home TV Licence

In some cases your main home’s TV Licence may cover your second home.

However, you can’t move your licence to cover your second home while you’re there and then move it back again.

Houses, flats, bungalows or cottages

You will need a separate TV Licence to watch TV channels on any TV service, live TV on streaming services, and BBC iPlayer* in your second home. On any device.

The exception is if you only ever use devices powered solely by their own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains) – in which case your main home’s TV Licence will cover you.

Can I use my TV Licence at another address?

Yes, your licence will cover you at another address if you are using a device powered solely by its own battery and is not plugged into the mains. If you’re moving address permanently, you will need to change your TV Licence address.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali