cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 box not recording or playing back. I.e. the hard drive is likely dead

phil-roe
Tuning in

My Mam (89) has issues with her 360 box. It will not record & occasionally throws up a code, CS2000, which is not in the code list & also on trying to playback you get a CS2217 code. An engineer was supposed to have called on 26th but didn't turn up. It was a different issue, in that the box wouldn't reboot, but it could possibly be related. This particular box has had intermittent issues for some time & we have had engineers come & appear to fix it but I strongly suspect that it has had a dodgy hard drive for some time. I note that CS2217 seems to say that the tv service isn't working, but that is inaccurate & incorrect as we can watch all live channels without issue however,  if you go further it does imply there is a HD issue.

I rang through the performance of the phone service & find that that is less than adequate when all that does is send me a text to go through all the checks I can do online & then when you get to the code screen all I get is a white screen with nothing on it. If you go through the checks that I already did, the solution in the code box is to call 150 thus ending up in an infinite loop.

What it looks like is that my Mam needs a new box sending out, I'm more than happy to install it for that's not an issue & it would save on sending an engineer, especially when they aren't reliable.

Note that I have sent this from my own account & you will need details of my mother's service that I'd be happy to give in a PM. I've done it this way so that I get the messages for her.

6 REPLIES 6

roy247
Community elder

Assuming you can watch apps to rule out a network connection problem because the 360 relies on a connection to Virgin's servers then it does sound like a possible hard drive problem.

You could also have a full hard drive, you can check by going to;

Recordings > Recorded > View all > It will show a percentage in the top left hand corner on this screen

If it's near to 100% you could try deleting some old recordings to see if it makes any difference.

If that doesn't work you could try a factory reset selecting the keep recordings option.

You can call to report a fault, or wait here for one of the forum team to pick this up which might be 2 to 3 day's.

When phoning choose the option to report a fault, then ignore all the options offered and you should then be placed into a queue to speak to someone.

phil-roe
Tuning in

Yeah I'd tried everything, the hard drive was only on 35%, even deleted some but nothing changed. I'd tried the network, completed all the available user diagnostics, rebooted everything, there's nothing more I could try. Went round the houses with phoning 150, & would have ended up in an infinite loop. After much attempts I found the 0800 number so that I could talk to a person only for that person just following a script & not demonstrating that he understood what the issue was. OK they do not know if they have someone qualified at the other end but it should have been clear from what I was saying that I understood the technical aspects of the system. 

In the end he decided to arrange for a technician but all it needed was to send a new box out that I could have swapped out & registered then sent the U/S one back. It's not something I'm unfamiliar with I've been on the network since Comcast, into NTL, then Virgin.

When arranging for the technician he then said the line would go dead for a couple of minutes but I'm not sure what clock he was using as it was 9 minutes. That could cause problems, the lines dead how on earth are you supposed to tell if it's connected. The next thing is he starts telling me that there'll be a £25 charge if there's no one in or it isn't something to do with Virgins equipment. If that's the case then my mother deserves a £25 discount for when she waited for an engineer who didn't turn up (on the 26th Jan)

At least we'll get an engineer, let's hope he can actually sort the problem this time. This is not the standard of service I would expect.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@phil-roe wrote:

The next thing is he starts telling me that there'll be a £25 charge if there's no one in or it isn't something to do with Virgins equipment. If that's the case then my mother deserves a £25 discount for when she waited for an engineer who didn't turn up (on the 26th Jan)

At least we'll get an engineer, let's hope he can actually sort the problem this time. This is not the standard of service I would expect.

I wouldn't worry about the possible £25 charge if there's no one in or it isn't something to do with Virgins equipment.  It does very much sound like your Mam the VM set top box is broken, possibly a hard drive issue, and will she need a new box. Although you could swap out the old box for a new one, it's now VM's standard procedure to send out a tech as they will check  the signal levels (which you wouldn't be able to do) and ensure everything is working correctly. It also saves VM swapping out and replacing boxes which could have been repaired.

As to a discount for the missed engineer appointment.  If VM find there is an area fault the system will automatically cancel the tech visit. However if that wasn't the case then VM's systems should automatically a credit of £29.15 on to the next bill. See the "Credit for a missed engineer appointment relating to the installation or repair of a fixed line or broadband service" section < here > 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thought I'd give an update.

Engineer called & rebooted the Box & all seemed OK to him. Unfortunately I wasn't present when he called otherwise I would have told that this is exactly what has been done in past with other engineers or by me & the result is that the box usually fails the next day or so. This is exactly what happened again, the same CS2200, CS2217 errors oh & I forgot to mention that apps like iplayer lose their settings & require sign in again.

They should have had all of this in their records & therfore not even bothered & just changed the box as I originally said they should.

Hi phil-roe,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your Tv box. I am happy to take a look into this. 

I will private message you now to confirm your details. 

^Martin

red_snow
On our wavelength

CS has admitted that they are getting large volumes of faults/disk/recording issues, and it's a common issue!!!! I guess they cheaped out on the quality of the hard disks!!