cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purpose of Adaptor

blarnnie
On our wavelength

Does the supplied adapter have any other purpose than connecting RJ11 to BT phone plug? 

If not then can I connect my DECT base station, which has a RJ11 connection, directly to the router using a cable with RJ11 plug at each end?

Blarnnie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

The answer depends on how your DECT phone uses the RJ11 socket.

The Hub RJ11 will use the middle pair of contacts i.e. the modern standard.
If your DECT phone does the same an RJ11 - RJ11 cable will work.

But we have one BT desk phone that is not wired like that, so the original factory cable must be used + a BT socket to RJ11 plug adaptor. If you encounter the same, just buy a long BT plug / socket type extender cable.

Which ever way it works the DECT Phone can be reconnected.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I take it your phone line has been converted to the hub, a lot have not.
Try it and see, mine worked. You cannot do any damage, just remove it if it does not work. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello blarnnie.

Thanks for your post.

From what @Tudor has advised there will be no harm in trying.

Can you please let us know if it's successful.

Gareth_L

blarnnie
On our wavelength

Thanks Tudor for response. Not converted yet but need to buy a much longer cable than Virgin will supply (see my other thread)and I was hoping a simple RJ11 to RJ11 would do.

Blarnnie

We only provide the adaptor for the router, we can look at moving your hub to another place for you if you wish?

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matt. The hub is in an ideal place, and all ethernet ports are in use so its a major disruption to move. Could you ask a technician if the phone can be connected with RJ 11 to RJ11 and if so I will buy the appropriate length.

Many thanks 

Blarnnie

Client62
Legend

The answer depends on how your DECT phone uses the RJ11 socket.

The Hub RJ11 will use the middle pair of contacts i.e. the modern standard.
If your DECT phone does the same an RJ11 - RJ11 cable will work.

But we have one BT desk phone that is not wired like that, so the original factory cable must be used + a BT socket to RJ11 plug adaptor. If you encounter the same, just buy a long BT plug / socket type extender cable.

Which ever way it works the DECT Phone can be reconnected.

blarnnie
On our wavelength

Many thanks Client62 for a response that actually answers my question! I have a fairly new cordless so am hopeful that the RJ11 to RJ11 will work.

Thanks again 

Blarnnie