cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADT Alarm VOIP GALAXY

crypticc
Fibre optic

Hello

I'm being moved from Virgin telephone to VOIP.

Virgin employee trying to book me in for the migration insisted I only needed a small dongle to be posted, I understood I wouldn't be allowed to modify the Virgin telephone master socket. Also on  these forums such an adapter to keep consumer equipment connected is being offered.

So will Virgin need to visit to cut the old bell wire and connect into the router instead? For my installation I've asked (insisted) for the Virgin engineer to visit.

But Virgin also said I need to contact my alarm company.And on calling them ADT offered my a partially subsidised mobile/cell solution.

However, ADT also said Virgin need to say if the adapter between back of the consumer box and the router will work just like the existing copper wire. They said that Virgin told them that there will be zero support and no adapter between the consumer equipment and the router to enable legacy equipment to work, hence why mobile cell signal needed.

But on these forums such an adapter to keep consumer equipment connected is being offered and mobile only needed as backup in case of power/router issues.

Can anyone help with what is the definitive answer please? It's a galaxy alarm panel with board firmware version v1.56 if that helps.

Thank you

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

5 REPLIES 5

crypticc
Fibre optic

By the way... The alarm is wired into the consumer patch point that is housed internally in the master Virgin telephone socket, just behind the little panel that is removed to get access.

Similar to photo here (this is a bt image downloaded from internet because couldn't find any pictures of Virgin)

Telecom.jpg

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello crypticc

Thanks for posting in regards to the upcoming changes to how your landline will operate.

The change should be seamless with no need for a visit unless there is wiring needs adding or moving to accommodate the landline working via the back of the Hub. The adapter is solely for the handset/base station to be used via the Hub, other equipment may not work via the adapter.

Rob

crypticc
Fibre optic

Hello

My visit booked for next week.  Will ask them to leave away if they can't assure that the alarm will work.

It's a shame Virgin can't work with such a large alarm company as ADT to come up with a straight yes/no answer. But at least it will be Virgin who will be wasting their engineer's time/£.

crypticc
Fibre optic

*..ask them to !eave straight away...

LazLon
Joining in

I am having the same issue. ADT says my alarm system won't work with VOIP. Has anyone got it working ?