cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone received accompanied by Virgin card, but handset blacklisted

adriangh
Joining in

Hi there,

I have been a loyal Virgin Broadband (and landline) customer for quite a few years. Back in March/April I had a few concerns regarding my monthly payment going up and was in two minds of leaving Virgin. I had a hot (at my end, at least :)) conversation with one of Virgin advisers, who assured me that the company will show their appreciation if I continued as a customer (at the new / higher price). Which I did and, surely enough, within a week or so after the conversation, I received a new iPhone, accompanied by a Virgin Media card and instructions of how to use it.

Because I was (and still am) happy with my provider (Three) and mobile handset (Samsung), and also because I was expecting that, in order to be able to use the new iPhone, I would need another / new number and account with Virgin, I decided to leave it for the moment and decide what to do later.

About 2 weeks ago (so, almost 4 months after receiving the package) I got back to this matter. I un-sealed the phone and, instead of inserting the Virgin sim-card that came with it, I tried my current (Three) sim-card. And, although the card was read/accepted and the phone was reporting not to be locked on any provider, the connection with the network was refused. I hit the same wall even after deciding to try the new / Virgin card that came with the phone (which I was initially reluctant to do, afraid of incurring immediate charges).

Intrigued, I phoned up Virgin, who could not help me - the number of the Virgin card I had received was not active / recognised in your system. In effect, there seemed to be no trace of that phone in Virgin's records! Even more intrigued, I paid for a service to check the IMEI of the phone and... found out that it was blacklisted!! Phoned back Virgin again (a couple of times), but it feels  that I cannot get to talk to anybody who have any idea about this situation, let alone helping me sort it out.

I've already started using the new phone as another device (WiFi connected) around the house, but it seems awkward not to be able to use it for its original intended purpose. So, I'm using this forum as the last resort for trying to find a solution - I assume it was Virgin who blacklisted it, so wondering if you could help me un-blacklist it (if that's the term :)). Many thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @adriangh 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of the phone issue you've said.

I am struggling with the first bit - you're a media customer and got the iPhone as part of an upgrade? We do not do this as the two are only linked for now Volt benefits. 

Do you mean you took out a seperate iPhone and mobile SIM?

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John_GS, thanks for your timely reply.

Apologies if my explanation wasn't too clear. No, back in March/April I did not get an upgrade - I considered the phone received as a) a goodwill gesture for not leaving Virgin and b) a 'subtle' enticement to also get such a mobile account with you. Just to re-state: I've had a Broadband (+landline) account with you for long time, but never a mobile-phone account.

With regards to your second question ('Do you mean you took out a seperate iPhone and mobile SIM?'), I don't understand what you even mean. I thought it was clear enough that I received both the new phone as well as a Virgin sim-card in the same package, at the same time.

I don't want to waste your time - nor mine, in this process. So, please just let me know if a) you can check your systems to verify whether it was indeed Virgin who sent me this package and, if Yes then b) whether you can remove it from the black list for me (I'm happy to send you the IMEI privately for that). That's all, thanks.

Thanks for coming back to me. We don't send phones out as a goodwill so should not be from us. 

I can send you a PM though to assist.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill