cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what category Ethernet cable to link my Tivo to my router? need 8 meters

benawhile
Dialled in

I need to make up an Ethernet cable to link my Samsung Tivo to my router. It has to be about 8 meters long. Is it OK to use 5e or would 6 utp be better?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

TiVo boxes don't need an Ethernet connection as they have a built in modem. Are you sure that you've got a TiVo box and not a V6 box?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Cat5e should be fine, use 6 if you want to spend more or 6a if you want overkill, but for a TiVo 5e is fine.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

TiVo boxes don't need an Ethernet connection as they have a built in modem. Are you sure that you've got a TiVo box and not a V6 box?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TiVo uses Ethernet for multi-room streaming and to enable remote access via TV Control. Previous post entirely correct otherwise.

https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

"remote access via TV Control" how do you mean? access to what? I have never been clear about whether ethernet is needed, we didn't use ethernet when we previously used this box between 2018 and 2021, but when booting up last week it took at least an hour to get all the functions and I got the impression connecting the ethernet (temporarily via a shorter cable that goes across a doorway) sped things up. Anyway, I've unplugged the cable and everything seems to work OK still.

Anyway thanks for this advice. Learning curve. I will still need to run the coax cable through the ceiling void and will want to remake the connection as the current one is much too long. Any tips here? It's a cabelcon 3.9. I'm looking up the how to? on youtube etc.

benawhile
Dialled in

Sorry Tudor I had to mark Space Phoenix as the helpful answer, but glad to still give you Kudos

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TV Control is an Android/iOS app that allows in-home streaming of your recordings, and out-of-home control - i.e. set & delete recordings while away from your box. The TiVo has an inbuilt internet connection for OnDemand, streaming & EPG updates, but needs a separate connection to your router for these control functions - that's where the Ethernet comes in.

The co-ax cabling forms part of VM's network and DIY amendments, albeit well-intentioned, are not a good idea. VM can make any amendments to your cabling for a fixed fee of £25 - this will include all cabling required and any power-level alterations.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

benawhile
Dialled in

OK will call them in but will need to get the floorboards up first

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, benawhile.
Thanks for all the posts and replies and glad to see our community has been so helpful with their advice on this matter, as I can read you may need an equipment relocation/cabling work which we could help with by making arrangements for you.

As it's a non-faults engineer visit we'd add a fee of £25 on your next bill following the appointment as japitts above has very thoughtfully pointed out, please do pop back here when you wish to go ahead and book this.
We'll be eager to assist you, cheers.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

benawhile
Dialled in

Hello Adri, I am now ready to book an engineer visit to re-cable our TV box installation. There is also an issue with the wall entry point for the main internet cable to router, as no box was fitted by the engineer in 2021, just unsupported loose cable. We would like a proper box fitted. We know where we want the cable to be run and have access to all points. We may not need extra cable as the existing cable is now too long.

I understand we should now wait for this post to be answered, is that correct?