cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TV Go - Why can't I use a Firestick?

forshawj
Up to speed

I have a static caravan, at home and an expensive Virgin Media TV subscription ... Why can't I access my Virgin Media TV services in my Static Caravan? I have ok Wi-Fi network coverage in my van (I can stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, ITVX, IPlayer etc fine) but other than casting from phone to my static caravan TV then officially I can't access my Virgin Media TV services.

I see the Virgin TV Go app is NOT supported for Firestick or any other streaming device. And 'Stream' isn't available....

I can see an arguement why VM don't want to release an app on Firestick as it may impact their STB sales, or perhaps they think that people will share subscriptions .. BUT ... VM already limit the amount of concurrent connections, and perhaps can limit the number of connections to a Firestick? 

I know I could sideload an Andriod app ... but WHY when I pay alot of money for a VM subscription that I cannot download app from Amazon store and log on??? 

VM do realise the year is 2023 and not 2003?

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin Media provide fixed-line based pay-TV services accessed via a set-top-box, with the additional option to use the TV Go app whilst temporarily away from home.

All you need do is install TV Go on a compatible Android or Apple mobile device and view your channels on it. Firestick has nothing to do with VM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I understand your point… but I want to watch TV channels that I pay for in my static property legally on my TV.. not only a small phone or tablet! Virgin Media cannot provide this as I understand - Dinosaurs… 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A static caravan is likely to be unserviced by Virgin Media, if you want a pay-TV service in that location you should look at Sky.

This has nothing to do with VM apparently being dinosaurs - they are a cable-TV operator and you seem to misunderstand their product offering.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@forshawj wrote:

I understand your point… but I want to watch TV channels that I pay for in my static property legally on my TV.. not only a small phone or tablet! Virgin Media cannot provide this as I understand - Dinosaurs… 

The dinosaurs here are not Virgin Media, who would provide access like this if their agreements with the channel/programme owners allowed it. The problem is they don’t. These agreements only cover reception of broadcast channels directly on TVs at the address the account is held. Streaming agreements that include TVs are seen by these people as a separate revenue stream requiring additional agreements (& subscriptions), hence why Virgin’s new Steam TV product cannot be added if you already have TV360 or TiVO/V6 boxes on your account.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I agree to disagree here .. maybe my expectation is different to what I require.. that is a TV service that is ubiquitous! 
Agree time to look at Sky sadly! 

Can VM get a coaxial cable to the caravan so that a TV box can be installed.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

The points made here fail to remember that Virgin TV can be accessed via a PC (which in turn can be connected to any size TV via HDMI). So while it may be a little more cumbersome to use, you can watch Virgin TV in a caravan (or any other building in the UK).

The big issue is WHY Virgin WON'T develop an app for the UK market, when the code has already been developed for the Irish market. Any don't forget Sky has NOW TV that runs on all sorts of sticks. So if anyone is leaving Virgin and is asked why, don't forget to tell them that it's because they don't allow their apps to work on streaming sticks.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

So, run an Ethernet cable to the caravan for a PC on which Virgin TV Go is installed.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@fredman wrote:

The points made here fail to remember that Virgin TV can be accessed via a PC (which in turn can be connected to any size TV via HDMI). So while it may be a little more cumbersome to use, you can watch Virgin TV in a caravan (or any other building in the UK).

There are workarounds, but the broadcasters are counting on very few bothering to use them.

The big issue is WHY Virgin WON'T develop an app for the UK market, when the code has already been developed for the Irish market. Any don't forget Sky has NOW TV that runs on all sorts of sticks. So if anyone is leaving Virgin and is asked why, don't forget to tell them that it's because they don't allow their apps to work on streaming sticks.

As stated before, the TV Go app is a broadcast additional service. Under VMs broadcast agreements these are intended only for use on mobile & tablet devices that run on internal power. Comparisons with NOW TV are not like for like as it is a standalone any ISP streaming service. A Sky satellite TV subscription does not allow you to use NOW TV, you have to use the Sky Go app, which again only works on mobiles & tablets. There are methods around to side load Sky Go onto a firestick, but its not a common practice.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993