cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sky sports app through virgin keeps going blurry on pc

sku11meister
Fibre optic

Hi, I some times have to watch football through the web portal on virgin tv go, it loads the sky sports app and works ok for the first 10 mins or so, then when the game starts it keep going pixalated and blurry to the point you cant even make out the players or the ball? 

Its not a broadband issue or network issue, I have my own router and switch and thats managed, its showing no issues, errors or dropped packets or lag on the network. I have approx 960Mbps down and 106Mpbs up so its not that.

Netflix, amazon prime and plex all stream at higher quality without even glitching. looks like a Sky Sports issue with their app, but how do i complain about that or get support? Im not a sky customer?! 

are there any ports i need to open to help this? or any other advice? Its annoying! 

(im watching on windows 10 gaming rig thats an i7 with 32gig of ram and 1060 6gb card with a lan connection to a unifi UDM PRO Router)

thanks in advance for any ideas/help 🙂

34 REPLIES 34

fremont_views
Joining in

Hello sku11meister, you are not alone.

I have the same issue. I'm trying to watch US Open qualifying using the Sky Sports player, logged in as a Virgin Media customer. Some of the time the picture is really sharp, but mostly it is so blurry it is unwatchable. It keeps changing from sharp to blurry, generally being the latter for a couple minutes at a time.

I can watch TNT Sports from Virgin TV Go with no problems, along all other channels, including Sky Cinema. The only ones that are unwatchable are the Sky Sports channels. 

I too think it is a problem with the app.  I'm using Windows 10, on a new(ish) laptop and have ensured I have the latest version of the Sky Sports player installed.

I would like to reiterate sku11meister's thanks in advance for any ideas that might help.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @sku11meister

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing with the Sky Sports app

Have you tried downloading the Sky Video player directly on a compatible laptop / device and watching via here? If not, please give this a try and let us know how you get on

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi travis, sorry I didn’t explain correctly. I have the sky sports player which it prompts you to download and install anyway. As Fremont explained it’s the same issue, I watch football and it works fine for 5-6 mins then goes unwatchable and blurry/ pixilated.

it seems to be getting worse and occurs more than a few months ago. It’s getting to the point where I can’t watch a game on sky sports player as it’s like an illegal stream?!?

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @sku11meister 

Thanks for your response

How does the streaming respond when using a different device such as a a mobile phone etc? If you haven't tried this, can you give it a try please? 

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

tried it on my mobile and it does the same. I watched the Arsenal vs Man U game today and it was awful. the second half it went blurry 28 times for about 5-6 seconds some longer.  its shocking! totally unwatchable! 

I checked my connection and im getting 892 mbps down and 103mbps, my ping to google and facebook are 16ms and 19ms and 14ms to twitter. everything else like disney and amazon prime video, netflix and alexa playing music all work 100% no issues, in HD ? Its just the sky sports app that has a problem? 

I checked the logs on my router and im not getting any packet loss or errors on my network according to my switch, so I dont know what else I can do to stop this? (Sorry for the delayed response, was away on holiday) 

Thanks for coming back to us sku11meister and I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you're having watching the football over the Sky Sports app. 

Which browser(s) are you using to access the content?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

sku11meister
Fibre optic

hi steven , its not using a browser, its actually the sky sports player. Watching the Arsenal - Everton game today and it has worked perfectly today, they must have fixed the issue?

elitement
Joining in

hey to this this im still getting this problem its something do to with the sky sports player i think ive tried everything it gets so pixeltated its unwatchable..happens like every 30 seconds goes blurry for 10 seconds..and ive just went and bough a brand new top of the ranger laptop so all specs are well up to date.

Mike02392
Tuning in

Hello, I've been getting this problem as well for about 3-4 months now. It really needs to be fixed!

I know it's a Sky product, but Sky refuse to help us because we are not Sky customers*, so I think this falls to Virgin to raise urgently with Sky to request a fix.

* if anyone else has had any luck in getting Sky to look into it then please let me know!