cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stream

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

VM's Stream has been announced, being a box which enables VM broadband customers without Pay TV to access a bunch of streaming subscriptions and apps. Disney+ is one of those apps. You only pay £35 for activation and this looks a better bet than Sky's forthcoming Stream Puck.

Here's more information on Stream.

https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Stream-from-Virgin-Media-Pack.pdf 

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection
19 REPLIES 19

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Already being discussed here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/VM-IPTV-stick-available-tomorrow/td-p/4997808 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

One thing I don't understand is locking the stream device down to VM hub connections, I can understand the VM network lockdown but the hub has made it impossible for me as I use my hub In modem mode and have a far superior router!

Will this ever change I wonder. 

VM says that Stream is "is available to customers with M50 Fibre Broadband or above". I am almost certain that it will work with your router as connections are still made using VM's network and not over the public Internet. I suggest you order it and you will be able to return it if it doesn't work.

--

Spoke to them and been advised it has to have a direct WiFi link to a virgin hub 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think you'll find that VM trains its staff badly on the use of hubs being put into modem mode.

--

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Jsquires1990 

It's locked to the VM network as in you can't use the Stream box with any other ISP provider.

As @Roger_Gooner said, providing you are using the VM network it should be OK.

Lot's of customers use 3rd party routers on the VM network to connect to their current V6 and TV360 boxes. The new Stream boxes use the same Horizon 4 User Interface that's on the current 360 boxes.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Biggest no no for me is that it’s WiFi only. I would have thought by now that VM would have learnt their lesson with WiFi problems, far better to be Ethernet and WiFi .

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tudor wrote:

Biggest no no for me is that it’s WiFi only. I would have thought by now that VM would have learnt their lesson with WiFi problems, far better to be Ethernet and WiFi .

Hi @Tudor 

It looks like it can be used with an ethernet cable.

Info below from https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/virgin-media/160897-what-is-virgin-media-stream-price-how-to-get... 

Stream from Virgin Media hardware specfications

The Stream from Virgin Media box is tiny - much smaller than the included remote.

It can be connected via Wi-Fi and wired internet, although you do need to be a Virgin Media broadband customer to use it. It is also recommended that you have a minimum internet speed of 50Mbps.

Here are the full specifications:

• Size: 80 x 80 x16mm
  • Connections: 1x HDMI v2.0b with HDCP 2.2, 1x Micro-USB for power and wired network passthrough
  • Wireless: Dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac), Bluetooth LE 4.2 (for remote)
  • System: RDK software, Horizon 4 User Interface
  • Video: 4K 60fps with HDR (HDR10, HLG), HEVC, VP9
  • Audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos passthrough
  • Power: Less than 5W

Also info below from https://websetnet.net/stream-from-virgin-media-initial-review-contract-free-internet-tv-in-one-tiny-... 

Stream is simple to set up, connecting to your network wirelessly and TV through HDMI 2.0. You can also hook it up via Ethernet with wired network passthrough available through the Micro-USB port that’s also used for power. 

Specifications

• Connections: 1x HDMI 2.0b, 1x Micro-USB
  • Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac), Bluetooth 4.2
  • Wired internet connection available through Micro-USB
  • HDR10, HLG, Dolby DIgital, Dolby Atmos (passthrough)
Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Missed that bit. Would be interested when someone get it working. Although I have never seen micro USB to Ethernet adapter, USB3 yes.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2