cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stream vs Sky Stream

david1235
On our wavelength

Hi. 

Is there anyone that know the difference between Virgin Stream and Sky Stream?  Is one better than the other?

Regards

David. 

8 REPLIES 8

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The main difference is that with Virgin Stream connection to a Virgin Broadband hub is mandatory. Sky Stream can be used on a competitors Broadband.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

VM's Stream costs £35 for activation with no monthly cost and you get more than 40 free channels, plus 28 HD channels as standard. You'll have to pay to subscribe to the likes of Sky Sports, Netflix, Disney+ and Prime Video, but VM gives you 10% back on every subscription you add to Stream and pay for through your VM bill.

Sky's Stream is rather different: It is available on an 18-month contract or 31-day rolling plan costing £26 per month with a £20 initial setup fee and £29 per month with a £39.95 setup fee respectively. For your monthly fee you get Sky's basic channels (HD included) and basic (as in standard-def) Netflix, but extras such as premium channels (like Sky Cinema, Sky Sports and BT Sport), UHD, Dolby Atmos and ad-skipping can cost a lot.

So, I wouldn't say one is "better" than the other as it really depends on what you want and how much you are prepared to pay.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can read about the VM Stream box <<< here >>> 

There is currently free activation for the Stream box from VM if you take out a broadband speed of M350 or above.

Also, if you are into Sky Sports and BT Sports and wanting to add them to a VM Stream Box then they are far cheaper with VM than adding them to a Sky Stream box. 

With VM Stream:- Sky Sports HD £18.75 extra a month;  BT Sport £10 extra a month; Sky Cinema HD £10 extra a month - You can cancel them at any time as they are on a 30  day rolling contract ---- Total for all three  £38.75

On Sky Stream:- Sky Sports £27 extra a month; BT Sport £28 extra a month; Sky Cinema £13 extra a month - all on a rolling 31 day contract --- Total for all three  £68.00

On Sky Stream:- Sky Sports £20 extra a month; BT Sport £28 extra a month; Sky Cinema £11 extra a month - all on an 18 month contract --- Total for all three  £59.00

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @david1235 

It looks like the free stream activation has finished now, so it's now £35. However VM do have a deal for new customers taking out the M350 broadband who sign up to M350 before 22 January 2023.

/virgin-media-o2-offers-savings-this-january-with-unmissable-m350-broadband-deal/ 

£15 per month, for the first six months, then £30 per month for the remainder of their contract. (it's a two year contract)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I’d be very careful when signing up to packages in Virgin Stream. 

I signed up for BT sport package at a supposed £10 per month, when I received the email to confirm my subscription it stated that the package was £18. 

Even now I can look at the virgin stream website where it states prices that are totally different to the prices that I see when I log into my account to manage my stream. 

Morning KiddyHarrier,

Thanks for  posting, and sorry to hear there was some confusion regarding the billing.

I can see you've been in a private conversation with my colleague and this has been discussed/ resolved 🙂

If you do still need help with anything please let us know.

Alex_Rm

My situation has potentially been sorted out. The final answer in that will be when my new bill appears. 

But it is still the case that you are showing 2 different prices on different parts of your website. So someone really needs to tell us what the actual prices are! 

EA46AC95-A269-41EB-BD6B-B7196D1B5E6B.png

F52DB1A0-238B-4251-BF7E-E1AD01A47728.jpeg

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi KiddyHarrier,

I'm sorry there is some confusion with this. We do occasionally run offers on these add-ons, which is why the prices you are seeing may vary.

At present, the current price - excluding any offers - for Sky Sports HD on our Stream service is £38.75 per month. At the time of writing, there is currently an 18-month discount on Sky Sports HD on Stream, bringing the price to £18.75 for 18 months (on a 30-day contract).

You can find more information here under the "Entertainment Subscriptions" section on the page.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ