cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stream box with VM Hub in modem mode?

gilbo2
On our wavelength

I have signed up to VM Broadband and opted for the Steam box. I'm now reading conflicting reports as to whether you can use it, or not, if the Hub is in modem mode, with the Stream box connected via wi-fi through a third party router. I note the FAQ section in this sub-forum says it will work, but then other pages say it wont. Confused!?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @gilbo2 

It will work provided you don't use a VPN or different DNS to VM's.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @gilbo2 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

carl_pearce
Community elder

Just to add to the above more advanced third party routers allow you to assign DNS by device, so you can use other, faster, DNS for all other devices, and the stream can be set to VM's DNS:

Example from my Asus router where I'm using Google DNS for one device, and all other devices use the default set in the router (1.1.1.1 (Cloudfare)):

gilbo2
On our wavelength

@newapollo wrote:

Hi @gilbo2 

Thank you, that makes sense so will need to check my DNS settings. I usually set them to "assigned by ISP", so hopefully that will sort things out.

@carl_pearce wrote:

Just to add to the above more advanced third party routers allow you to assign DNS by device, so you can use other, faster, DNS for all other devices, and the stream can be set to VM's DNS:

Example from my Asus router where I'm using Google DNS for one device, and all other devices use the default set in the router (1.1.1.1 (Cloudfare)):

Thanks for that info, my current router isn't as capable as that but is useful to know.

You can use different DNS from VMs DNS servers.  Originally VM didn't like DNS over TLS and it wouldn't work but this seems to be accepted of late as mine been OK without putting in an exclusion on my router for the Stream box.

On my  Asus router I normally do DNS over TLS to cloudflare DNS servers  with DNSSec enabled and it all works.