cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stream box says hub is disconnected from internet

Jbeeriman
Tuning in

I recently upgraded to the stream box service so I could have all my TV in one place and while it does work most of the time every now and then mostly after a while of it being on it just disconnects and says the hub is disconnected from the internet. The hub isn't disconnected at all as everything else in my house is still running other than the stream box. 

Has anyone had this issue and had it resolved?

Cheers

19 REPLIES 19

Karl_brown
Joining in

I keep getting the same problem and the only fix that I have used is a reboot ( pulling the plug ) tryed calling virgin media and after 10 mins on the phone with getting nowhere I found this salutation my self.

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Jbeeriman, welcome to the community! Thank you for posting!

Sorry to hear you have been having issues with your Stream box disconnecting from the hub. When this happens do you get any specific error message or code? Does the box get stuck loading the welcome screen?

There should be a little light on the front of the stream box, which when white shows STREAM is on, or when blue shows STREAM is in standby mode. Would you be able to confirm for us that the box is staying on and not swapping into standby mode? 

There's a handy user guide for STREAM which can also be found here

It may be worth just for checking your Hub's advanced settings here to ensure you have both Wi-Fi bands enabled, and running a quick scan in your home via the Connect app for any other Wi-Fi issues. 

Let us know about the error message and how you get on with your Wi-Fi setup so we can offer further support if needed! 

All the best. 

Molly

@Molly_T wrote:

Hi Jbeeriman, welcome to the community! Thank you for posting!

Sorry to hear you have been having issues with your Stream box disconnecting from the hub. When this happens do you get any specific error message or code? Does the box get stuck loading the welcome screen?

There should be a little light on the front of the stream box, which when white shows STREAM is on, or when blue shows STREAM is in standby mode. Would you be able to confirm for us that the box is staying on and not swapping into standby mode? 

There's a handy user guide for STREAM which can also be found here

It may be worth just for checking your Hub's advanced settings here to ensure you have both Wi-Fi bands enabled, and running a quick scan in your home via the Connect app for any other Wi-Fi issues. 

Let us know about the error message and how you get on with your Wi-Fi setup so we can offer further support if needed! 

All the best. 

I've also been getting it. CHANNEL FAILED. CS2017 but other messages also randomly appear.

You go into Stream Diagnostics and it says everything is GREEN and connected on its diagram. Everything else in the house is fine, I live in a greenfield Wi-Fi area (i.e., no other routers broadcasting Wi-Fi to cause interference), the Wi-Fi signal is strong on 5ghz. The only device crapping out is the Stream box with a variety of messages but usually CS2017. Wi-Fi is up and running and mobiles etc can access while the stream gives up.

Other times the diagnostics screen on the Stream says its Virgin Servers where the connection issue is. One thing that is constant, is that the Wi-Fi is NEVER down when the Stream says it has a connection issue and that is even green on the diagram!!

Cabling via ethernet is not an option and the Stream box is dead to me if that is the suggested fix.

I have also done a RESET of the box (even though its new).

The Stream is poor at reconnecting fast enough (this needs addressing by VM's software team), and you have to wait 5-10mins in standby or reboot the box completely. The stream just puts up the image of the bird stating connection issue and then it's game over because it can't be bothered to test every so often. I can't find a reboot option using the remote so that is a visit to the stream box or power supply on wall to reboot the thing which is a damn nuisance when you are in bed watching tv.

I'm pretty certain it was the last software update when this started happening. Apart from this issue, the Stream is a good little box.

Hi Molly,. Yes your situation sounds quite a lot like mine. Hopefully it is software and VM can patch it out. Otherwise it's just not worth using. 

Hey Jbeeriman, thank you for reaching out and letting us know this.

Did Molly advice help at all? 

How has this been over the last few days are you still having some signal issues? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matt,

I haven't had an issue since posting but in all honesty I haven't used it as much. It seems to be after long use it decides that my hub isn't connected to the internet when it is. 

So because of that I have tried to limit how long it's on for. Not a perfect fix but it's done something

Jack

@Jbeeriman wrote:

Hi Matt,

I haven't had an issue since posting but in all honesty I haven't used it as much. It seems to be after long use it decides that my hub isn't connected to the internet when it is. 

So because of that I have tried to limit how long it's on for. Not a perfect fix but it's done something

Jack

I got to the bottom of mine. Either the Stream box does not like 5ghz channel 48 OR Asus AX86U firmware doesn't like Channel 48. Issue all gone away on another 5ghz channel. I used both inbuilt router survey of other frequencies AND a mobile app and had been on channel 48 for past few years. Both indicate (as expected) that I have no conflicting AP's on any of my 5ghz channels except Channel 36 where there is one weak AP on that channel. I pretty much live in greenfield site with no other AP's apart from a weak distant one that gets picked up occasionally. Even that wouldn't cause the issue.

Given all the other devices are fine from computers to phones to tablets to Smart TVs, I am inclined to think it's the Stream box, but as its a non-DFS Wi-Fi channel, cannot understand why it would not like CH48.

Everything fine on CH44 now. The error messages on the Stream box at the time (and there were many different error codes) indicated WIFI = OK, sometimes internet connection from hub to internet was down or VM servers to blame. So far on Ch44 it's been rock solid. Will monitor but past few days been solid.

Wired ethernet was not an option due to being used in a room with no cables/sockets but easily within range of router as not far away.

@unisoft wrote:

@Jbeeriman wrote:

Hi Matt,

Jack

I got to the bottom of mine. Either the Stream box does not like 5ghz channel 48 OR Asus AX86U firmware doesn't like Channel 48. Issue all gone away on another 5ghz channel. I used both inbuilt router survey of other frequencies AND a mobile app and had been on channel 48 for past few years. Both indicate (as expected) that I have no conflicting AP's on any of my 5ghz channels except Channel 36 where there is one weak AP on that channel. I pretty much live in greenfield site with no other AP's apart from a weak distant one that gets picked up occasionally. Even that wouldn't cause the issue.

Given all the other devices are fine from computers to phones to tablets to Smart TVs, I am inclined to think it's the Stream box, but as its a non-DFS Wi-Fi channel, cannot understand why it would not like CH48.

Everything fine on CH44 now. The error messages on the Stream box at the time (and there were many different error codes) indicated WIFI = OK, sometimes internet connection from hub to internet was down or VM servers to blame. So far on Ch44 it's been rock solid. Will monitor but past few days been solid.

Wired ethernet was not an option due to being used in a room with no cables/sockets but easily within range of router as not far away.

Well I spoke too soon. Changing channel did not resolve the issue. I'm at a loss as everything else in the house is rock solid and suffers no disconnections or picture quality issues whether wired or Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi speeds is 600mbps on a mobile phone even.

The Stream box varies from CS2012, 2005, 2017 error codes and every time, Diagnostics on the box says Wifi is connected but that my hub isn't connected to the internet or the virgin servers are the fault.

Guess will have to ditch VM Stream soon if this continues as sick of it. Before the current software version it was rock solid, but can't blame it at that as no ability to roll back to prove.

Thanks for coming back to us unisoft and I'm sorry that your issues haven't yet been fully resolved. We can try to send out a new stream box as a fault replacement. Would you like us to do this?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L