cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffering

allmastic1
Tuning in

Why is it when I'm watching live tv programs i don't get any buffering, but when the adverts are on it keeps buffering 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

On your Stream box click on Settings > System > Diagnostics

The two screens will show you the Connection Status of the Stream box and the signal quality (you need to scroll down to see all of the info)  Do the screens show any issues?

Are any error messages/codes shown on screen (and if so what are they)  when you have issues.

Have you tried a different ethernet cable and ethernet port on the hub?

Have you tried a different HDMI cable and port?   

You do need a high speed HDMI cable - the HDMI 1.4 isn't good enough.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

On what device are you watching?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

i am watching live tv on my smart tv 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are using Freeview, then this is broadcast over the terrestrial "OTA" network and doesn't use the internet,

If you're using streaming services, the TV can't differentiate between content so would have no way of choosing to buffer when adverts are on, compared with programming.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

allmastic1
Tuning in

It's not freeveiw I'm watching live tv through my virgin media streaming box 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In post#3, you mentioned using your internet-connected TV, now you have clarified that you mean the VM Stream service - we can only advise based on the info you post.

My comment in post#4 stands - are you saying that buffering starts when the adverts do, and then clears immediately programming resumes? And by extension - you have no buffering on any BBC channel, but do on all other channels? Or is this problem specific to any channel(s) - in which case please state which one(s)?

I've moved your post to the Stream section of the forum, but can you also advise how your VM box is connected to your homehub - is it by the recommended Ethernet cable, or by wireless?

i don't have any buffering on any programs im watching on any channels only on all adverts on all channels, my streaming box is connected via HDMI cable and erthernet cable 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

On your Stream box click on Settings > System > Diagnostics

The two screens will show you the Connection Status of the Stream box and the signal quality (you need to scroll down to see all of the info)  Do the screens show any issues?

Are any error messages/codes shown on screen (and if so what are they)  when you have issues.

Have you tried a different ethernet cable and ethernet port on the hub?

Have you tried a different HDMI cable and port?   

You do need a high speed HDMI cable - the HDMI 1.4 isn't good enough.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thank you for your help i will get a HDMI 6 and try that 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

HDMI cables don't have version numbers. If you want a cable for UHD and HDR go for a premium HDMI cable.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection