cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new router for 1g speed?

crackerjack
Joining in

Hi

I had gone for a new contract on the 28th March. At the moment my speeds are still showing 500 gb . I went for the 1g speed which works out at £60 a month instead of £80.

I received  an email this morning to say that my old contract has run out and I need to get a new one. Looking at my bill which was dated March 18th to April 25th . Ive received all the paperwork for the new speed . Question being does this mean my new speed wont start until then even though I was told told it would start on the Sunday of Easter weekend. Done some speed tests and it still at 500 mbs which is the old speed. Ive got a router 4 which Ive had for some time so do I need a new router before the 1G speeds can begin?

Confused anyone shed some light please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub 4 is suitable for the 1Gb service. The WiFi is not, & will max out at 600 Mb per device due to the older WiFi standard in use. Make sure you are testing via wired means.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub 4 is suitable for the 1Gb service. The WiFi is not, & will max out at 600 Mb per device due to the older WiFi standard in use. Make sure you are testing via wired means.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cheers Nodrogd. That's one less problem to worry about. Have a great day !

Donfor40
Superfast

I had been declined Hub.4 -5 upgrade earlier, I did ask during e-chat.

I'm returning to 1gb since m350-m500.

t.b.f 1GB seems very stable during my 2nd attempt via hub.4.

I'll continue unless I find need for faster wifi, which my since redundant Nighthawk was very good at.

unisoft
Well-informed

@crackerjack wrote:

Hi

I had gone for a new contract on the 28th March. At the moment my speeds are still showing 500 gb . I went for the 1g speed which works out at £60 a month instead of £80.

I received  an email this morning to say that my old contract has run out and I need to get a new one. Looking at my bill which was dated March 18th to April 25th . Ive received all the paperwork for the new speed . Question being does this mean my new speed wont start until then even though I was told told it would start on the Sunday of Easter weekend. Done some speed tests and it still at 500 mbs which is the old speed. Ive got a router 4 which Ive had for some time so do I need a new router before the 1G speeds can begin?

Confused anyone shed some light please ?

If you use your own router that has 2.5gbps ethernet or 10bps ethernet, as well as devices then you are better off with HUB5 in modem mode as it has a 2.5gbps and you'll make most of the (over) provisioning of 1300mbps (circa). If you don't have that then a HUB4 is fine.

If you intend to use in router mode, and not modem mode only, then the HUB5 is mainly of benefit with WiFii AX speeds if you have AX devices. The HUB 5 has issues in router mode with ethernet 2.5gbps port connected to a computer or cheap unmanaged switch due to Energy Efficiency changes at firmware level as device needs to have it disabled.