cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed upgrade

davjar
On our wavelength

Hi everybody 

Interested if anyone has had a similar experience to me in trying to get the details of a Text message offer of a 50% reduction in cost of a speed upgrade. I currently have 250mbps. I have noticed using some streaming services they run a bit slow. I started thinking about a speed upgrade. By chance I got a Virgin speed upgrade message Text link took me an 'oops something went wrong' page same, when i tried it on my PC. Got contacted via private message to get know what this offer actually is.  After two days and six security questions, the 50% reduction offer turns out to be £9 increase for a speed upgrade of 100mbps and a lock in for further 18 months. My current charge would get 500mbps from a number of Openreach providers and for an further £9 I could get over 900mbps. Advisor suggested I think about it and let him know. I don't  think I will bother. Am I expecting too  much as an existing customer to get  a reasonable offer?                                                             

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have a similar offer. I'm on Volt 250 and can now get 350 for £4 more, 500 for £8 more, and Gig1 for £12 more per month. These are all in my online account. It says up to 50% off but the 500 upgrade is actually better than that for me. Saying that I have no need for an upgrade or to throw any more money in VM's direction. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Cardiffman282
Super solver

You don't need a speed upgrade to stream. For 4K quality streaming Netflix specifies just 15 Mbps https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

What would be better is to stick the hub in modem mode and use your own better router. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

davjar
On our wavelength

Thanks for your reply. The issue is not Netflix related, I am also completely familiar with options to improve network performance and have a router if required. The post was more about Virgins spurious offer of  50% off a speed upgrade 

Client62
Legend

I agree, don't waste money on more bandwidth.    Invest in a proper through the home Wi-Fi solution.

I have a similar offer. I'm on Volt 250 and can now get 350 for £4 more, 500 for £8 more, and Gig1 for £12 more per month. These are all in my online account. It says up to 50% off but the 500 upgrade is actually better than that for me. Saying that I have no need for an upgrade or to throw any more money in VM's direction. 

davjar
On our wavelength

Hi 

Thanks for your reply. Your info really helped. It confirms what I thought, that the offer I got through the private messages was really poor  value. I should have been able to see the options you had in your online account, but for some reason I get an "oops" message when I try to view them. The experience has now made me determined to see out the remainder of my contract at the current deal. I will then look to move to the best value for money deal available at the time. As I can get full fibre from any openreach provider, I expect this current contract with VM will be my last.