cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved router

andrewc-1967
Joining in

Hello I recently bought gig 1 broadband which was located in my dining room. I decided to relocate to my living room where I still had a wall box from when I had a TiVo tv box. I thought this would be okay and save me paying the call out fee for a technician  but according to VM website it keeps saying the internet is intermittent and the speed is not reaching 1gig speeds when I do a kit test. Do I need a technician to come out to fix this or can it be fixed my end without paying for someone to come out ?

Andrew

9 REPLIES 9

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If your Hub is working in any shape since the move, then the living room socket is working.  However it may not be optimal, so can you do the following.  Also are you using wired or Wifi connections?

Do a wired speed test on this site.  Run the FULL tests and post the results here.   www.samknows.com/realspeed

Post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub. Also setup a BQM to monitor your circuit www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The wall box not in use should have a ‘termination cap’ fitted, but it may involve a technician’s visit. If there are any faults found you do not have to pay.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @andrewc-1967 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry to hear that you have faced this issue with your service and thank you so much to our community for their help so far. 

Are you able to confirm if you are testing the speed on wired or WiFi connections?

hello  adduxi

I am using both wired to my smart tv and Wi-Fi to my computer.

my wired speed test was when I used my Ethernet cable to connect my pc. I’m not techie so I took a screenshot after doing a full test on samknows:-

andrewc1967_0-1714220673485.jpeg

My router log and pre and post errors:-

Log

andrewc1967_4-1714221318564.pngandrewc1967_5-1714221359509.pngandrewc1967_6-1714221390494.pngandrewc1967_7-1714221456066.pngandrewc1967_8-1714221549056.pngandrewc1967_9-1714221584538.pngandrewc1967_10-1714221628800.pngandrewc1967_11-1714221668266.png

My BQM:-

andrewc1967_12-1714222001491.png

I have placed a cap on the unused box in my dining room.

regards andy

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You are getting the full 1Gb speed to your PC as shown by SamKnows. If your issue is WiFi that’s a different matter.  VM only guarantee 30Mb over WiFi. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you Ashleigh for replying. I have 1 gig download with my wired connection to my pc and my Wi-Fi is 496 mbs download and 99mbs however when I try to check if my broadband is ok it keeps saying intermittent signal.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What exactly are you using for testing the Wifi?  Bear in mind, the minimum guarantee for Wifi is 30Mb.

Hi @andrewc-1967 

Thanks for coming back to the thread.

You need an engineer visit as your downstream power levels are all out of spec.

I'll send you a PM now to book this in.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thank you

andy