cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local area having problems since January

randysparks
Tuning in

Our local area has been having broadband dropouts since January. It's a hot topic on the local Facebook groups. Usually the internet connection either dies, or becomes very slow/flaky (e.g. pictures won't load on a website).  

We use the service checker page and report the fault, and are told there is indeed a fault and it's getting fixed. But it either isn't, or it just comes right back again.

Sometimes we're offered the choice of registering for compensation, but sometimes that option doesn't appear. 

What can we do?

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 8.00.00 AM.png

9 REPLIES 9

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

You should be able to exit your contracts without penalty of early disconnection fees under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 on the grounds that VM has demonstrably failed to exercise reasonable care and skill in going about the supply of a reliable broadband service in your area. Contact Citizens Advice. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Thanks. Some people on the local groups are trying to do this. 

But me, I'd just rather have a working internet connection. Our only other choice is 5G Broadband, which we tried for two years and was even worse. Or ADSL via the phone line, but we've lived in our house now for five years and never even had the phone connected. I'm unsure where the master socket is, for example.

Is there any way to escalate the fault so that somebody more senior at Virgin takes a look at it and actually puts in place a proper fix? 

Perhaps the official complaint/escalation process. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues and fix estimates, down to street cab/ postcode level.
The "compensation "timer" can also be started on this number if appropriate.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

No

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is being reported on the 0800 number ? 

For compensation see...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation
https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

---------------

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi there @randysparks 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry that you have been facing these issues with your service and thank you to our community team who have assisted so far. 

I have taken a look and I can see there is an SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) outage in your area currently that may be causing intermittent service, this is due to be resolved on the 10th if April at 10am. 

We are so sorry again that this is happening but we can assure you our team are doing all they can to get this resolved for you and everyone effected. Are you able to let us know how things are looking after this time?

@Ashleigh_C wrote:

Hi there @randysparks 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry that you have been facing these issues with your service and thank you to our community team who have assisted so far. 

I have taken a look and I can see there is an SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) outage in your area currently that may be causing intermittent service, this is due to be resolved on the 10th if April at 10am. 

I have taken a look and I can see there is an SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) outage in your area currently that may be causing intermittent service, this is due to be resolved on the 10th if April at 10am.  [...]. We are so sorry again that this is happening but we can assure you our team are doing all they can to get this resolved for you and everyone effected. Are you able to let us know how things are looking after this time?

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for acknowledging this is an area-wide issue. I put in an official complaint and received a reply suggesting I check my wifi settings, which was very frustrating. 

The problem seems to have gone now but this is been part of the issue. It seems to be fixed and then it comes right back again. Only time will tell, I guess. 

Sorry to hear this, we understand how frustrating Outages are, they may come back in the future we can't guarantee that.

If it does please do keep us updated. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?