cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency issues with online Jamming (solocontutti)

jonw3
Joining in

Can anyone advise me on what to do with high latency.  I am a keen musician and I have been trying to use Solocontutti for online jamming and I consistently get poor latency which results in poor sound quality and a delay.  Trying sonobus was no better.  I am currently on a M250 fibre package and get ping times of more than 20ms which is higher than recommended.  Any ideas on how I can improve the latency?  I have reset the Hub 3 router but that made no difference.

13 REPLIES 13

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Nothing you can do if running the hub in modem mode don't help thats it VM would have to fix the area with more upstream

---------------------------------------------------------------

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

See https://www.virginmedia.com/blog/gaming/how-to-reduce-lag 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

IPFreely
Fibre optic

Depending where in the country you are and where the people you're trying to play with are 20ms may be impossible and your service may be working perfectly fine.

Latency on VM cable is a bit higher than that of other providers due to how their network is built. 

Without knowing what you're pinging from and to impossible to give any advice. You're at the mercy of your own Internet and, potentially, the connections of the folks playing with you. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What devices are you running the music software on?

And, have you tried connecting those devices to the VM Hub on an ethernet cable as well as wifi ?

How do they compare?

Also... If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc -provides a useful graphic output of your latency

It will also allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @jonw3 Thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media Community forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the connection you are experiencing.
Have you tried the broadband quality monitor as advised in the thread?

It will help us see where the spikes and drops are in the connection and at what times to identify any trends / patterns.
Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

jonw3
Joining in

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I am connected directly to the router via an Ethernet cable by the way.  One issue I have is other members of the family gaming while I am trying to get online jamming to work.  I would be interested to find out if I could expect lower latency if I upgraded to M500 or even Gig1?

Hi jonw3,

Thanks for posting, and sorry you're having some connection issues.

I've had a look at things from our side and there are no issues showing. 

Can you confirm if you only have this problem when online jamming?

Have you set up a BQM as previously mentioned?

Alex_Rm

I have followed your instructions as suggested.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/6849141d54c0754cb6b71c6ad48aa76f2b... 

On the chart below I was jamming between 7 and 9pm and the average latency increased consistently.
Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 20.49.15.png

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Its not the average latency that kills you it from min to max if far apart that is bad

---------------------------------------------------------------