cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Speed Test Results

Obiwan_65
Tuning in

Hi. I have VM Broadband, with a speed of 350Mbps which was boosted from 250Mbps with Volt. Up until recently I usually get around 360 or more Mbps, using the Virgin Media speed test on my phone using WiFi, or an app on my TV, also using WiFi. Last night I noticed my speed is being reported at around 250 to 270Mbps on a speed test app on my TV. When I tried the Virgin Media speed test using my phone browser, which is Samsung Internet, I was getting less than 200Mbps. Sometimes barely over 150.

I just tried using the Virgin Media speed test Web page again, but this time using the Google Chrome browser on my phone, and it is showing over 350Mbps.

I read some posts on here and found the site SamKnows RealSpeed, and that site is giving me around 380Mbps.

I've never before seen so much conflicting results with my speed test. My question is: Is this SamKnows RealSpeed site a good indication of my Internet speed, and can be trusted, and is my connection actually ok?

Last night I used the Virgin Media app on my phone to check my connection, and it said that I should reset my router. I did do that and nothing seems to have changed. And it now doesn't report any problems.

1000030311-01.jpeg

12 REPLIES 12

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Everything is fine...😒

---------------------------------------------------------------

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

WiFi speeds will always vary. You have nothing wrong. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Obiwan_65
Tuning in

Thanks for the replies.

Obiwan_65
Tuning in

The reason why I posted was because we have had some sporadic Internet problems recently: smart home devices being out of range more than usual, and the odd WiFi cutting out on phones and tablets. But also now, since a few days ago when I noticed, the Hub 3 light was more orange than white, and now seems to be solid red. The hub 3 is in the same place it has been for years, not in any direct sunlight and doesn't seem to feel warmer than it usually is. But I think it's time for it to be replaced. My contract is due for renewal and I have chosen to upgrade to a 1Gb package which means I should be getting a new router anyway. I just hope it's a superhub 5.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You be happier if you stayed on your current package and looked at better 3rd party routers with hub in modem mode.  

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Obiwan_65,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to see your connection speed has been a bit up and down, as rightly advised WiFi can vary on each device and can depend on a lot of things, we do recommend Sam Knows Real Speed, this does show exactly what speed is hitting the Router.

The speeds that you get at home will, of course, depend on a variety of factors; it can depend on your package, what devices you have and how many, how those devices are connected, and many other things, we have a download speed guarantee, and this will show the minimum speed that we would expect for all our packages. You can take a look at that here, have you already discussed an upgrade, when is this taking place?

Regards

Paul.

Thanks for the reply Paul. I have submitted a renewal plan on the VM Website. I had a couple of offers for renewal, and I selected 'customise offer and chose the 1 gig package, but I have yet to hear anything. If I select update package on the VM site or app, it says that they are processing my recent upgrade submission.

Hi @Obiwan_65

It can take up to 14days for an order placed through your online account to be processed at our side and applied. 

If you have not seen your package change or have any confirmation to consent the package after this time, please do let us know and we can investigate this further for you.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If your problem is WiFi coverage, do not think you will cure it with faster broadband. Like others before you, you will be disappointed. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.