cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Factory Reset of Hub Required

Johnnyboy123
Tuning in

I've been suffering with indifferent performance for a while; it will be OK and then suddenly drop out. I'd found a temporary fix was to disconnect from the wifi from the hub, then reconnect and it seems to help for a while. The issue, when it happens, seems to be a really low upload speed resulting in a loss of connection with the websites I'm using.

I decided to check the service status yesterday, went through My Account, and it said my hub needed a factory reset. It tried to do it remotely, but then directed me to do it manually with a pen into the back of the hub. This worked wonders and all was good, but then today the same issues. This time it was remotely reset, but surely I shouldn't have to do this every day? Is there a problem with the hub?

20 REPLIES 20

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Possibly a hub problem, but mostly this type of problem is due to a circuit problem. Please post some stats, details follow:

How to get stats from a VM hub (no need to logon to the hub)

Open a web browser and go to 192.168.0.1 router mode or 192.168.100.1 modem mode

• Click on the “> Check router status” button
  • Click on the “Downstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply, do not take a screen shot
  • Click on the “Upstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply
  • Click on the “Networking” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply.
    • Do NOT post photos or screen shots they will be rejected as they contain MAC addresses. The board software will automatically change MAC addresses to **:** if done as above.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Many thanks for replying.

I've done as you suggested but it won't let me proceed without logging in (I get a select language page, then a password page that I can't get past). Obviously I can get the password off the hub, but as you said I don't need to logon, have I done something wrong?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Two lines below the "Password" box should be "> Check router status", click on this. If the screen if different please post a photo/screen shot of it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

There's no option to "Check router status" virgin hub welcome page.png

Client62
Legend

Login with the password of the Hub 3.
Perhaps it needs to complete some setup following the factory reset.

The connection info once logged in to the Hub 3 menu is also available at :

Advanced Settings >>> Tools >>> Network status

I logged in using the number on the bottom of the hub, then there was a "reset password" page, then there was an option to "Go to Dashboard" or "Proceed to Dashboard". I clicked that and waited, clicked it again and waited, and so on. Nothing happened. Eventually I tried to refresh the page, but then I got a messgae similar to when there is no broadband "Unable to connect" with a "try again" button and "Problem loading page" in the tab.

Client62
Legend

Having logged in to the Hub 3 I can reach the Home page via : http://192.168.0.1/?home&mid=Home

I lost internet completely and tried using getting help (which was useless, please Virgin allow an option to deal with a real person when you're stuck in a Virtual Assistant loop, it's beyond frustrating); eventually tried a hub reboot and at least I've got internet back.

However, Firefox is now warning me that 192.168.0.1 is not secure and is a "Potential Security Risk"

Client62
Legend

VM Hub 3 has an http interface, so every browser should spot that as being a not secure connection.
We all have to just ignore the warning and carry on to use the menu.