cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Gig2 client: Hub 5 or Hub 5x?

lauragmail
On our wavelength

Hi,

This morning, I ordered the installation of Gig2 with the add-on 2Gib upload speed. The installation date has been scheduled for mid-May. Currently, I have another broadband provider, and I have an ONT plus a Mikrotik RB5009 as my main router with a heavy configuration.

I don't care about the VM router that will be provided; Hub 4, Hub 5, or Hub 5x will be fine. However, my requirement is that it be possible to use it in modem mode.

Can I ask if the Hub 5x is the only VM router suitable for the Gig2 connection? I have read that currently, the 5x does not have a modem mode.

12 REPLIES 12

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Join then cancel if it don't do modem mode its the only way VM will listen 

coax all the way till modem mode on  full fibre 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You'll get a hub 5X. Modem mode should be coming later this year I hear.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It was going to be later last year as well. 😉

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

lauragmail
On our wavelength

Many thanks for all your answer, is there any chance of having Gig2 with a Hub 5 (not 5x)?

RT123
On our wavelength

No - the Hub5 has different interfaces so is incompatible  (it’s only given on the older HFC/RFoG connections) 

I do not work for VM, just trying to help!

lauragmail
On our wavelength

And last question, do you know what type of cable is used in the Hub 5x: SC/APC or LC/APC?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

So whats stop anyone doing this?

XGS-PON to SFP+

---------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies if it has been asked previously. i was asking for the type of cable because probably I will move the router to a new place and I will to extend the length of the cable.