cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet unreliable while no tv box plugged in

jameselson
On our wavelength

Hi. 

We’re having decorating work done at the moment and the room has been cleared of furniture. However, I still need internet so the router is still there. 

The connection is unreliable and the logs on the router imply the signal is too strong. It works fine then suddenly hangs and I get a blinking green light, or occasionally a blinking red one.

Usually there’s a splitter with both the hub and a V360 box attached. Because I’ve taken the TV box away, one half of the splitter is unterminated. Is this an issue and if so, is there anything I can do to make things reliable in the meantime (a few weeks). 

James

4 REPLIES 4

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Is there still an unterminated cable hanging from the splitter? If so that would be acting as an aerial and certainly cause a problem, so remove it.

If it's just the open socket on the splitter, although it's best to be terminated it's less likely to be the problem. Are the other connections tight and the cables secure in their plugs?

You could perhaps remove the splitter and connect straight through, but that would certainly increase the signal levels.

Can you post the signal levels here? Copy the text, not a screenshot. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jameselson
On our wavelength

No, i removed the unused cable. I originally had it connected without the splitter, and had these issues so I added the splitter back in case it had some components that reduced the power on each half.

I'll check the connections again.  I'm not at home now, so can't check the signal levels until later. Thanks for the help though

James

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Do post the signal levels when you can. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey jameselson,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums. I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your connection. 

How are things looking at the moment?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L