Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damaged BrownBox, remedial work needed

Joining in


I would like some assistance please, I am currently in a rented first floor property which is supplied with Virgin Media fibre broadband & the bill is paid by my landlord - some little scallywag has pulled the cable away from the wall & damaged my brown box which is situated at ground level, the wire is a bit of a hazard as there is quite a lot of slack on it & also the brown Virgin media box is damaged and left exposed wires at street level. 

how do I get Virgin to get someone out to sort this please? Thanks. 


Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM will only deal with the account holder so you will need your landlord to contact them directly. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @nicwebb89 👋,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear the OmniBox has been damaged. 

As you are essentially reporting a fault, we can help by booking an engineer visit but you'd need clear security on the account first. Otherwise, please get the account holder to get in touch so we can help further. 

Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs


I have spoken to you on the account before so I think my the account holder has added security for me. 

Hi @nicwebb89 

Thanks for coming back to the thread.

I'll send a PM now to book this in.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill