cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner advice

axool
Joining in

I've always had Internet that has come on the BT network through the phone port but got a good deal with virgin. The guy who lived at my house before had virgin as he mentioned it when I moved in. I signed up a couple weeks ago and realised I don't know how the installation looks like and I don't really want to pay the £50 for virgin to send someone to install it (I'm guessing it's just plugging the router in). I've found the below which I thought was for a satalitte outside at first but I'm thinking this is for the virgin network? I guess setting up a case of connecting a router to this box via cable and the everything alse to the router. This is all likely really basic stuff but I would appreciate any clarification/help as I need Internet for work so want to know what I'm doing ahead of time. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can also check for a loose cable as not all properties have a socket. Look outside for a brown or grey VM box on the wall and trace the cable to the inside. If it is a loose cable only, you will need one of these to connect the Quickstart cable. https://www.diy.com/departments/slx-f-type-satellite-cable-coupler/5028422001905_BQ.prd

VM do not use the BT sockets or wiring, they use their own co-ax cable.  If the property had VM before, you will be sent a QuickStart kit to install yourself.  If this is not possible, then you will need a manned install.

If you do find any cables or sockets, just post some photos here for advice  🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Order a quick start by all means. If it turns up & you cannot connect, call the pre-install team & ask for a manned install. It’s not your fault if the connection has been removed or changed since it was last used & you should not be charged to get it reinstated.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You don't have to pay for installation. Just make that clear when you order. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.