cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi not reaching our office- alternative options to extend beyond Wifi Pods

mattl4
Just joined

Hi everyone, looking for some advice. 

We currently have a Volt M250 package with Virgin. The signal generally has been good within the home, the issue is that our Wifi does not extend to our office. We live in a middle terrace & we have an outbuilding at the back of the property which functions as an office. Since moving in, we've been unable to get Wifi there. our telephone connection (& therefore Wifi hub) is at the front of the property. 

I've contacted Virgin who have provided two Wifi Pods which we have placed as far back in the property as we can in the hopes that it would extend the Wifi to the office, with no success. I think the issue comes that the pods have to essentially extend the network through two brick walls? The reason I say this is that the distance between the Wifi pods/extenders & the office is no more than 10-15feet. 

Anyway, my question now is what are our options? I'm left wondering if there is a stronger extender that may be able to fix the issue, or if I will need to bite the bullet & look into fitting ethernet cables to extend more effectively.

Thanks  

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Legend

Have a look at this as a possible that you can try and return to Amazon if it does not work out.

TP-LINK AV1000 Wi-Fi

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The best option by far is to run an exterior rated Ethernet cable into the outbuilding.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The only guaranteed solution - and the cheapest - is an ethernet cable. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

There s another solution:  Powerline Adapters (e.g. Devolo) which will carry the Internet over the mains.  Provided that your office is n the same distribution board as your ring main, that will work.  I've used this method to carry Internet to my scattered TV360 boxes & TVs.  If your mains isn't too dirty, you can expect 100 meg at the furthest end.  

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Another option if you have deep pockets is a 60Ghz point to point link.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2