cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Pod Switching

avtarjain
Joining in

I have two wifi pods and one hub

My mobile does not easily switch from one to another. If I am in living room connected to Hub 3.0 and then moves to bedroom where I have wifi pod, I expect mobile to connect to wifi pod. But it stays connected with downstairs Hub with almost no wifi strength despite to having wifi pod plugged-in next to my bed. I have to switch off my mobile's wifi and switch it back on then it works sometimes.

Same happens other way around and also with kitchen wifi. As a result most of time, I and my family are on low Internet speed despite of having a super speed hub in living room. Wifi pod did not solve my low speed problem but it made it worse. 

Please help 

I talked to virgin media few months back but no luck. I asked to replace many years old hub3.0 when my contract was renewed but they denied to do it unless I opt for a higher package.

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Legend

Toggle the phone's Wi-Fi Off / On, to encourage it reconnect to a stronger signal.

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @avtarjain 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

Typically a phone will stay connected to the WiFi network is was connected to unless this network drops completely, have you been able to try toggling the WiFi as suggested by our community member Client62?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

AFAIK, the ability to roam seamlessly between Wifi beacons, is governed by the device, not the (in this case) VM Pods.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi thanks all for response. 

Regarding the solution of switching WiFi on and off, does not sound like an intelligent solution. To answer the question, yes it would switch connection device and can be seen as a last resort solution.

It is not practical for me and family to switch their WiFi on and off every now and then as we move between rooms, kitchen and toilet whole day. Does it not sound funny. 

Mobiles and Laptops currently stay connected to its signal sender regardless of wifi strength. Even if WiFi drops to 1mbps, mobile does not switch to strong signal in same room.

Do you know how to setup device to roam seamlessly 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Its the device that does this as far as I know.  There is nothing to configure I believe, my iOS phone for example, will move from AP to AP as I walk about the house.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Firstly I am on android so it might be a difference and Second I suspect when you move you loose signals from 1st device all together. In my case I still get 1 or 2 mbps signals which does not let phone to switch to different pod. 

As per google, There are 3rd party apps which do wifi switching automatically but you have to tell them what strength is minimum threshold for switching. I can't find any app yet in play store. Bit scared of downloading any dodgy app.