cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Superhub

dmutha
Joining in

Hello VM,

I am currently running the Gig1 braodband package with Maxit TV (7 channels). I called this week to ask about upgrading to the Superhub 5/5x for the following reasons:

- I wish to avail of Wifi6 capabilities

- The Superhub 4 has been problematic since day 1. It requires constant resets to ensure maximum throughput (regularly drops to lower speeds/choppy teams performance etc - resetting usually fixes). It also has a terrible memory for device names.

- TV apps regularly break - they either dont load at all (just sit trying) or i get errors. Again, router resets usually fix.

I appreciate that the SH4 might technically meet my needs, however its not working well for me and it feels like a lot of money each month for a service that's becoming evermore troublesome. So much so that I'd be willing to pay for an upgrade!

When I called this week I was told that there were zero options available for me to do this. I found this frustrating - SH5/5x's are being sent to new customers, yet there is no mechanism for getting one to an existing customer of over 20 years who's not only having issues but is prepared to help finance a solution?

Could someone please contact me with options?

Many thanks

DB

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Legend

Hub 5x is for XGS-PON sites only, it is not operable as a Hub 4 replacement on a CATV / RFoG connection.

Be aware Hub 5 Wi-Fi 6 will not fix any of the mentioned issues & it is incompatible many / most 2.4GHz IoTs.

Next time the Hub 4 mucks about check to see if its admin menu has failed, symptoms are a blank / white screen after the password is entered.  If you have this you have a case to request replacement of a failing Hub.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @dmutha,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your Hub 4 and broadband connection recently. It's correct that we wouldn't provide a Hub 5 replacement at request alone.

I've just checked over things on our systems and I'm unable to detect any faults currently that would explain this. How are things for you today? Any better at all?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach,

Thanks for your reply. Today, the service is functional; I have around 2/3rds of the 1GB available (though it's being actively used). Typically i need to reboot the device every couple of days to ensure this remains the case. TV apps are behaving normally - same resolution as and when they misbehave. The connected devices list has again forgotten the custom names I've defined for specific devices, meaning i need to regularly re-identify known/unknown devices.

As i said in my post - these issues aside, i am also wanting to avail of wifi6 for some of my compatible devices here. For this reason alone I'd be prepared to "upgrade" and wanted to know what costs would be involved. If i can address these issues with the SH4, i'd still be interested in upgrading. The point is, i've been told there is NO option to do this, which doesn't seem right. I don't want to go down the path of using the SH4 as a modem and purchasing another wifi6 router. Primarily because I use the Virgin Wifi pods and wish to continue to do that if at all possible.

If you can comment on the above and come back to me with any options i have to upgrade, i would be grateful.

Kind regards,

DB

fizz
Fibre optic

I would say you need to address the reasons your hub 4 is not performing at it should be it signal coming in or the hub itself. So I would guess the first course of action would be to post your hub stats to see what your connection is actually like first.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Modem Mode

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM give you a hub for then to send another hub means cost to them and even if you want to pay thats not a option due to everyone wanting a new hub plus it might not work right in router mode when you pay for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------