cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden issue with WiFi pods on PS5

AndyN89
On our wavelength

So I have had the Gig1 package since December and 2 wifi pods to help boost it around my house. I have one wifi pod in my room, and run an ethernet cable from the pod to my PS5 console and always got great speed (between 550-650mbps) until 3 days ago..I noticed a huge drop off in speed. For 3 days now I have not been able to get over 95mbps on my PS5. Nothing has changed in regards to my setup. I have unplugged the ethernet cable from my PS5 and put it in my laptop and I get between 600-700mbps which is great. So I know the pod does work and the ethernet cable does too..but as soon as I put it back in my PS5, can't get above 95mbps again. I have done multiple reboots of my hub and 2 factory resets and still it won't work.

I do not know why this has suddenly stopped working in the last 3 days but it is extremely frustrating. I have been on the Playstation forum and asked and got absolutely no help.

Any help would be appreciated.

41 REPLIES 41

Client62
Hero

"95mbps on my PS5" - this is a network connection de-rating from 1000 to 100Mb/s.

The cable might just scrap by for the laptop. but with the different traffic profile of the PS5 it is not holding up at 1000 Mb/s.

Get some new CAT6A or better cables ordered to resolve this issue. 

AndyN89
On our wavelength

I have a new cable arriving today just so I can find out if that is the issue but it just seems strange that it has worked fine up until recently. I am still testing now and I am getting an average of 85.5Mbps on wired on my PS5..whereas it used to never be below 500Mbps. last week I downloaded a 80GB game in about 17 minutes. Earlier this week it took me almost 30 minutes to download a 9GB update. That is when I noticed the issue

20230223_135845-min.jpg

AndyN89
On our wavelength
Cat8 cable is what is arriving today.

AndyN89
On our wavelength

Cat8 cable arrived and speeds still will not reach more than 90mbps on my PS5. Speeds are max on every other device, it is just the PS5 that isn't working when wired to my pod all of a sudden

In the PS5 network information can you see the link speed ( 10 / 100 / 1000 ) ?

AndyN89
On our wavelength
No on the PS5 network settings there is no display of link speed. On my hub page I can see the PS5 under "connected devices" and it shows the ip address etc and it says the speed is 1000

AndyN89
On our wavelength

Not sure if this is linked or not but I have noticed on my hub page that the 5GHZ channel is defaulted to channel 108 (which it warns me is a DFS channel) I know for a fact it was not channel 108 a few days ago it was a channel in the 90s. 

I have just read on many forums that the virgin wifi pods will not work unless "Smart Wifi" is turned on, You have to turn smart wifi off to change the channel. As soon as I turn Smart Wifi back on so the pods connect, it defaults the channel right back to 108.

So now I am wondering if my PS5 is only able to use 2.4Ghz for that reason

AndyN89
On our wavelength

I have had Gig1 package since december and have been using a wifi pod in my room which I connected to my PS5 via ethernet cable.

For 2 months now I have had great speed on my PS5 (500Mbps - 600 Mbps) until 3 days ago when I noticed it took forever to download a 9Gb game update.

For the last 3 days I have not been able to get above 95Mbps and I have no idea why. I have tested the ethernet cable connected to my wifi pod on my laptop and it gets max speed. The problem is purely when I connect it to my PS5.

I have tried multiple hub reboots and also a factory reset. I even purchased a cat8 cable and the issue is still there. 

I am stumped as to why in the last 3 days it has suddenly stopped working

AndyN89
On our wavelength

I made a thread earlier about how I was experiencing issues with my PS5 connection to my wifi pod suddenly dropping. Well today I discovered a whole new issue.. I noticed that my 5Ghz channel is stuck on 108 which is a DFS channel (which numerous people on other forums have said Wifi Pods cannot connect to this channel) and as of right now my wifi pods will not connect at all unless I enable 2.4Ghz.

I know for a fact that the 5Ghz channel has only recently defaulted to 108 as I am 99% certain it was in the 90s before. But I have had issues for 3 days now and I think this is why.

To manually change the channel you need to disable Smart Wifi (which the pods need switched on to work) so when I changed the channel and saved the settings, switched Smart wifi back on..it defaulted right back to channel 108 and my pods just will not connect.