cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed hasn’t doubled?

Luka_
Joining in

Hey so a while back I switched over to virgin media after being an o2 customer for a long while now and they said that after 14 days (switched back in February) and still nothing? 
alongside this I’m getting no more then 70mbs on my laptop where there should be 274mbs

could anyone recommend help? 

9 REPLIES 9

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like you are connecting with 2.4Ghz WiFi?  What does a wired speed test show at this site.  Run the FULL test and post the result please.   www.samknows.com/realspeed

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

 I hope this is okay

image.png

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That shows VM are supplying the full 250Mb Tier to the Hub.  You need to look at the connection from the Hub to your laptop.  If you are using 2.4Ghz Wifi then you will not see anymore than you are getting now.  What speed does a wired connection to the laptop show? If it's still slow, the laptop maybe only using a 10/100 link speed?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I had to do a little searching to find this as am not very technical but it says that-

Link speed (receive/transmit): 510/480 (Mbps) 

And when I look at the Network band which I’m not sure if that’s what am looking for it says it’s 5Ghz

Hi Luka,

Thank you for reaching back out, were you able to try an Ethernet connection on the Laptop, if so did you get your expected speeds?

Regards

Paul.

I did try Ethernet but it didn’t really change the speeds 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Has the laptop got a network card capable of connecting on 5GHz?  - if so - check in its network settings that it hasnt defaulted down to connecting at 100Mbps  - rather than 1GB - it does happen.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

No I checked before but when I’m home I could check again 

Hello Luka_

Thanks for bringing the speed increase to our attention and welcome to back to our community.

We can take a look at this for you if you like.

I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check your logo at the  top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L