cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Mustang FTTP network upgrade Sheffield 6

handsomeinked
Up to speed

There has been some work done recently in our area, adding new cabinets, the project code on the works is NK128FIBREUP-SHEFFXQOIAF (if it helps). It doesn't appear they have pulled / blown any fibre yet as there are still some coffin tops at some of the new cabinet sites. I was wondering if there are any ROUGH timescales for completion of the work and for the FTTP XGS-PON network to available to order services on? 

It’s always best to be positive but we all have crappy days.

VM Hub5 on Gig1, Etc etc

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Gig1
9 REPLIES 9

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Ditto Cardiff works ref

NK128WHIT-X-BP03AF

and project ref 

NK128FU

if possible please. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @handsomeinked 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums, it's great to have you here. 

We are currently upgrading our network but we’re not able to give any further information as to when existing customers will be able to migrate over to XGS-PON. 

As soon as we have any further information, we will let customers know.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

There are multiple stages involved here. New cabinets are built next to existing ones, microducts are wriggled through the ducts to the cabinets, fibre is blown through and spliced. There is kit to be installed in the cabinets and upgrades needed in the hub site. Once an area is ready VM will start to offer broadband over fibre and using the hub 5X. I very much doubt whether anyone on this forum knows about timescales so you'll just have to wait but, having said that, I'm most certainly expecting some areas to be ready for sale this year.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Ahsleigh_C thanks for coming back. I understand with so much upgrade work going on it's tough to be able to give timescales. The work is certainly progressing a pace. There's one section with what looks like two larger cabs being stalled and they still have coffin tops so I assume once those are setup the fibre will be getting blown/pulled. 

It’s always best to be positive but we all have crappy days.

VM Hub5 on Gig1, Etc etc

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Gig1

My area Wigan is the same fibreupgrade work everywhere at the moment  

i wonder how long until it goes live my contract is up in may 2gb xgspon might keep me ,if it’s any better than fttp via bt etc is it newer technology? 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Openreach has GPON but is migrating I believe to XGS-PON.

--

So they will basically end up the same but vm,s inferior customer services ?

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Eventually most will end up with XGS-PON, so the differentiators will be the ISPs' services provided (like broadband, phone, Pay TV, VoD, etc), prices and customer service.

--

With the intriguing future possibile scenario of having a VM Xgs-pon connection via a high quality ISP like A&A https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2024/02/broadband-isps-react-to-virgin-media-o2-uk-going-whole...

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).